Review of ezTaxReturn Web-based Tax Prep Software
In order to access the free version of ezTaxReturn, users will need to first start at the Free File page on the IRS Web site, and then click through to the ezTaxReturn Web site.
- Clean, uncluttered interface
- Well-designed questions
- Intuitive navigation access to relevant data entry forms
- Not able to review the actual tax forms prior to submitting for electronic filing
- Did not see an option to print and mail the tax forms
- Includes helpful explanations by clicking on a hyperlinked phrase and an explanation will pop up in a separate window.
- The explanations are succinct, but may not include all the relevant criteria for determining if you qualify.
- ezTaxReturn does not have a clickable navigation interface enabling you to return to a particular data entry place.
- That means if you want to make changes or review entries, you will need to navigate using the Back and Continue links.
Review of the ezTaxReturn Web-based Tax Preparation Software
I found ezTaxReturn pretty easy to use and quick. The user interface is clean and easy to understand. I was able to finish my sample tax return in less than half an hour. ezTaxReturn's clean interface helped keep me working through all the data entry with a minimum of confusion.
One drawback is that I was not able to download a PDF copy of the tax return I prepared to review prior to submitting the return for electronically filing.
However, the summary of tax calculations presented on the computer screen did correspond to my own calculations that I had prepared beforehand.
ezTaxReturn participates in the IRS's Free File Alliance. Individuals can prepare their federal tax return on ezTaxReturn if the individual has
- Adjusted gross income is $57,000 or less, and
- Lives in one of the following states: AL, AR, AZ, CA, GA, IL, LA, MA, MI, MS, NC, NJ, NY, OH, PA, VA, or WI.
ezTaxReturn supports preparation for the following state tax returns at an additional cost of $19.95 for AL, AR, AZ, CA, GA, IL, LA, MA, MI, MS, NC, NJ, NY, OH, PA, VA, or WI.
If you do not meet the criteria for Free File, ezTaxReturn costs $29.95 for a federal return, $19.95 for a state tax return, or $39.95 for a combined federal and state return.
Supported Tax Forms
- Form 1040 - Income Tax Return
- Form 1040A - Income Tax Return
- Form 1040EZ - Income Tax Return
- Form W-2 - Wage statement
- Form W-2G - Gambling Winnings
- Form 1099-R - Retirement payments
- Schedule A - Itemized deductions
- Schedule B - Interest and dividends
- Schedule C - Self-employment income
- Schedule D - Capital gains
- Schedule E - Rental Real Estate
- Schedule EIC - Earned Income Credit
- Schedule L - Standard Deduction for Certain Filers
- Schedule M - Making Work Pay and Gov't Retiree Credits
- Schedule SE - Self-employment tax
- Form 982 - Reduction of Tax Due to Debt Discharge
- Form 2106 - Employee business expenses
- Form 2441 - Dependent care expenses
- Form 3903 - Moving expenses
- Form 4137 - SS and Medicare tax on tip income
- Form 4684 - Casualty and theft loss
- Form 5329 - Additional Taxes on Qualified Plans
- Form 5405 - First Time Home Buyer Credit
- Form 5695 - Residential energy credits
- Form 6251 - Alternative minimum tax
- Form 8283 - Charitable contributions
- Form 8812 - Child tax credit
- Form 8829 - Home office expense
- Form 8853 - Archer MSAs
- Form 8862 - EIC After Disallowance
- Form 8863 - Education credits
- Form 8880 - Retirement savings credit
- Form 8888 - Direct deposit into multiple accounts
- Form 8889 - Health Savings Accounts
- Form 8910 - Alternative motor vehicle credit
- Form 8917 - Tuition and fees deduction
- Form 9465 - Installment Agreement Request
The Bottom Line
Overall, ezTaxReturn's clean, simple interface makes it easy for individuals to prepare a relatively straightforward tax return quickly and accurately. Recommended.