Explorer Insurance Company is a part of the ICW Group (Insurance Companies of the West) and has been writing auto insurance since 1992. It offers personal auto insurance products through a network of independent agents and brokers. ICW also offers workers’ compensation for small and large businesses and earthquake insurance. Explorer Insurance has corporate offices in Santa Clarita, CA, and specializes in auto insurance targeted for California residents.
Financial Stability and Customer Service Ratings
Explorer Insurance's parent company, ICW Group, has an “A-“ Excellent rating from A.M. Best insurance rating organization with a financial size category of XII. Both Explorer Insurance and ICW Group have an "A+" rating from the Better Business Bureau although neither have a BBB accreditation.
Auto Insurance Products
- Bodily Injury Liability
- Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage
- Comprehensive and Collision
- Towing and Rental Reimbursement
- Glass Repair Deductible Waiver
- Permissive Driver
- Salvaged Vehicles
- 24/7 Emergency Roadside Assistance Emergency roadside assistance services (Includes towing, road service, emergency delivery of supplies, tire service, battery service, and lockout service.)
- Out-of-State Licenses
- Several convenient payment options to choose from including recurring electronic payments
- Free online automatic payment services—pay by credit card or check (EPay payment services are available for one-time or recurring payments. You can also pay by check, Visa, or MasterCard.)
- Additional coverage options
While Explorer Insurance Company’s website mentions discount programs, there are no details listed. To find out more about any auto insurance discounts you may qualify to receive, you would have to contact an agent.
For a non-standard auto insurance carrier, Explorer Insurance has some of the bells and whistles that you find with larger national insurance carriers such as emergency roadside assistance, flexible payment options, glass repair deductible waiver, and online payment options, although claims reporting is still handling by telephone.
To report a claim, policyholders may call toll-free, 877.849.4678, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. The company website reports claims adjusters have specialized expertise and there is in-house investigation staff to help combat fraud. Bilingual claims’ staff are also available.
When reporting an auto claim, have the following information available to expedite the processing of your claim:
- Name, phone number, and policy number
- Date and time incident occurred
- Location incident occurred
- Description of other vehicles involved
- Names of other drivers involved
- Reporting police agency and police report number
- Any injuries suffered, available witnesses and passengers
Our Review of Explorer Insurance
For residents of California, Explorer Insurance can provide you with state-required auto insurance and also has some added perks to its auto insurance policy such as towing/rental reimbursement coverage, glass repair deductible waiver, and 24/7 emergency roadside assistance. The company also has sound financial strength ratings.
You can visit the Explorer website to learn about the company’s auto insurance products or to find an agent or broker. To contact Explorer Insurance by telephone, call toll-free, 800.788.8984. You can also send an email through the Contact Us link on the company website.