Erie is a midsize insurer primarily available in the Northeast, Southeast, and Midwest, and it has high overall customer satisfaction. The company’s basic offerings are similar to those of other providers, but Erie differentiates itself by including various extra protections for free and offering a variety of optional coverages that rival those of larger insurance companies.
- Pros and Cons
- Company Overview
Includes several added coverages at no extra charge
Numerous optional coverages to choose from for a custom-fit policy
First-accident forgiveness may be available after three claim-free years with Erie
High marks on most J.D. Power studies
Rate Lock feature could keep your premiums consistent for years
Only available in 12 states and DC
May need to discuss ongoing service with a live agent versus managing your policy digitally
- Official Website www.erieinsurance.com
- Insurance Offered Car, motorcycle, RV, boat, collector and classic car, off-road vehicle, homeowners, renters, and more
- Customer Service Available by online form (https://www.erieinsurance.com/contact-erie/customer-care) or phone (800-458-0811), Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. Eastern, and Saturday, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m ET
- Year Founded 1925
Erie Car Insurance Coverage
Erie’s auto policies offer all the basic coverage options:
- Liability (bodily injury and physical damage you cause to others, required in most states)
- Personal injury protection
- Collision: may include personal item coverage up to $350; $75 travel expense coverage after breakdown
- Comprehensive: may include locksmith services up to $75 on insured car, and auto windshield glass repair deductible waiver; $75 travel expense coverage after breakdown
- Medical payments
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist
Depending on your state, policies may also include protections like coverage for injured pets, and first accident forgiveness. The forgiveness may be available after being a claims-free Erie customer for three years, or it may be available immediately, depending on your state. This is an unusual perk, as most companies don’t offer the option to earn accident forgiveness, or require a longer accident-free history.
With the Erie Auto Plus package for $35 per year (or less in some states), you’ll get additional coverage, including:
- Diminishing deductible
- $10,000 death benefit
- Additional days of rental car reimbursement coverage
- The ability to waive the deductible in certain situations
- Increased coverage limits for locksmith services, personal items, and non-owned trailers
You can also purchase many coverages or endorsements a la carte. Depending on your state, these may include:
- Roadside service
- Rental car reimbursement
- Ridesharing coverage
- ERIE Rate Lock (keeps your rates from increasing until you make changes like adding a vehicle or driver, or moving to a new primary residence)
- Diminishing deductible (decreases by $100 for each consecutive claim-free year, up to $500)
- New car protection (replaces totaled vehicles newer than 24 months with the latest model year)
- Better car protection (replaces a totaled car with one that’s two years newer)
- Lease/loan protection
Factors That Affect Your Cost
Insurers offer unique rates depending upon individual factors, including your driving record, location, age, your vehicle and how you use it (business, personal only), typical mileage, credit-based insurance score, and other factors that can vary between U.S. states. The amount of insurance coverage you want to purchase also impacts your premium. To get a sense of what Erie car insurance might cost you, we recommend requesting a quote based on your vehicle, driving habits, and personal information.
Erie Car Insurance Discounts
Erie offers auto policyholders numerous ways to save:
- Youth discounts: Young driver
- Loyalty discounts: Multi-car, multi-policy (up to 25%)
- Safety discounts: Safe driving, car safety equipment
- Other discounts: Reduced usage (not using car for at least 90 consecutive days), annual payment (pay in full)
Another cool loyalty perk that can help you save is Erie’s Feature 15, which won’t increase your premiums after your first two at-fault accidents. To qualify, you must have had an active auto policy with Erie for 15 years.
In most states where Erie is available, it offers a driving safety app called YourTurn that rates your driving habits and skills, like how hard you brake, whether you drive faster than the speed limit, and whether you use your phone while driving. Your driving score translates to rewards of up to $5 (or $10, if you’re 23 or younger) every two weeks, which you can spend at certain stores or donate to charity.
Erie Car Insurance Availability
Erie is available in 12 states and DC. Not all coverages and discounts are applicable in all states; for example, new and better car protection coverage aren’t available in North Carolina and New York, and passive restraint discounts don’t apply in Kentucky.
How to Get an Erie Car Insurance Quote
You can start your quote online and complete it with the local agent listed at the bottom of your quote. Alternately, you can find and call an agent directly. You’ll need to provide basic personal information and vehicle details. Online quotes don’t leave much room for customization or seeing how much you’d pay with and without various Erie endorsements, so you’ll need to talk to an agent to make quote adjustments. You can also call 800-458-0811 for general assistance.
How to File a Claim with Erie
Contact your local Erie agent or call Erie’s general claims number at 800-367-3743 to file a claim. An adjuster will reach back out to review accident details and your existing coverage. It’s a good idea to keep your policy and claims number, contact information for your agent and claims handler, and documents about the claim all together. You might also want to take notes on your calls about the claim.
Erie Customer Service
|Study||How Erie Fared|
|J.D. Power Auto Claims Satisfaction Study||#7 out of 24|
|J.D. Power Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study||
#2 out of 14 in the Mid-Atlantic region
|J.D. Power Insurance Shopping Study||#2 out of 12|
|J.D. Power Insurance Digital Experience Study||#19 out of 19 for service
#3 out of 22 for shopping
Erie’s limited availability means it only appeared in three out of 11 regions in J.D. Power’s Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study. Nonetheless, it ranked second or third, showing its customers are highly satisfied with its price, offerings, billing process, and more. Its average score of 856 was also significantly above the average scores of 833 for all regions.
Erie snagged seventh place in J.D. Power’s Auto Claims Satisfaction study, with a score eight points above the industry average.
Digital Service and Shopping Experience
Erie’s third-place ranking in J.D. Power’s Insurance Digital Experience Study (shopping category) and second-place ranking in the Insurance Shopping Study mean you should have a positive experience purchasing your policy online or over the phone.
That said, it ranked last in the service category of J.D. Power’s Insurance Digital Experience, showing its digital customer self-service solutions are in dire need of improvement. You may find yourself reaching out to an agent for help and policy management more often than you would with other insurers.
AM Best is an independent rating agency specializing in assessing the financial strength of insurance companies. It gave all of Erie’s car insurance groups an “A+” rating, indicating Erie has a superior ability to meet ongoing financial operations like paying out claims.
Other Insurance Provided by Erie
Erie’s other insurance products include:
- Motorcycle, RV, and boat insurance
- Collector and classic car coverage
- ATV, snowmobile, golf cart, off-road motorcycle, trail bike, and moped insurance
- Home and property insurance
- Life and health insurance
- Personal and business coverage
Compare Other Car Insurance Reviews
An Erie auto policy may not be right for everyone. It’s essential to compare quotes from other providers to ensure your policy fits your needs and budget. Like Erie, these other insurers also offer an array of coverages:
You may find that Erie car insurance is a good option if you:
- Want a standard policy that’s more all-inclusive
- Live in a state where it’s available
But you may want to consider an alternative provider if:
- You like to purchase and manage your policy digitally, including filing a claim
- You want to enroll in a telematics program so that more of your premium is based on how you drive rather than demographics
The Balance strives to give consumers unbiased, comprehensive reviews of auto insurance providers. To ensure that our content helps you make the right insurance decision for your needs, we review each insurance provider’s coverage options, discounts, customer service and satisfaction, and financial stability.
J.D. Power. “Auto Insurance Websites Surpass Agents in Importance to Customer Interaction, J.D. Power Finds.” Accessed Nov. 5, 2020.
J.D. Power. “Auto Insurance Claims Satisfaction Climbs to Record High as Carriers Refine Customer Experience During Pandemic, J.D. Power Finds.” Accessed Nov. 5, 2020.
J.D. Power. “Direct-to-Consumer Auto Insurers Take Top Honors in Shopping Study as New Normal Arrives for P&C Industry, J.D. Power Finds.” Accessed Nov. 5, 2020.
J.D. Power. “Property & Casualty Insurers Raise Digital Games as COVID-19 Elevates Customer Expectations, J.D. Power Finds.” Accessed Nov. 5, 2020.
AM Best. "Erie Insurance Group." Accessed Nov. 5, 2020.