Documents Needed to Start a New Job

Documents Needed to Start a Job

Filling Out Job Application
••• Winston Davidian/Photodisc/Getty Images

When conducting a job search, it is important to be aware of the employment forms that companies may require so you are prepared to interview, prepared to be hired, and ready to start a new job. The last thing you need is a glitch and missing documentation that could stall the hiring process. Employment forms you may need include job applications, W-2 forms, an I-9 form, and a W-4 form.

If you don't have the original documentation that you will need before an employer can put you on the payroll, order copies now, so, you'll be ready to start work immediately once you get a job offer.

Employment Forms

  • Job Application FormsMany employers require candidates for employment, even for top level positions, to fill out an application so they have documentation of experience and education. Applicants will need to provide details and dates of past employment and education, as well as of credentials and certifications. At some point in the hiring process you may be required to provide college transcripts or other proof of your degree.
  • W2 FormsEmployers may ask for copies of your W2 forms to verify your compensation prior to making a job offer. Here is information on whether it makes sense to comply and how to obtain copies of your W-2 forms if you don't have them.
  • W-4 Form: The W-4 Form is completed by an employee so the employer can withhold the correct amount of federal income tax from your pay. When you are hired for a new job, you will be required to complete a W4 Form to let your employer know how much tax to withhold.
  • I-9 FormWhen hired for a new job, employees are required to prove that they are legally entitled to work in the United States. An Employment Eligibility Verification form (I-9 Form) must be completed and kept on file by the employer. You will be required to produce original documentation verifying your eligibility to work.
  • E-VerifyE-Verify is a system for employers to document and confirm the eligibility of employees to work in the United States by comparing the I-9 (Employment Eligibility Form) information supplied by all workers to Social Security Administration, Homeland Security, and Department of State records.

How to Replace Lost Documents

  • Replace a Lost Passport: Information on how to replace your passport.
  • Replace a Social Security Card: What you will need to replace your Social Security Card.
  • Order Copies of W2 Forms: Order copies of past W2 forms from the IRS.
  • Replace Lost Driver's License: Check with your state Department of Motor Vehicles for instructions on how to apply for a replacement license.
  • Request Transcripts: Request copies of your transcript from the Registrar's Office at your college or university.