Do It Yourself Money-Saving Projects and Tips
DIY to Save Money
Do you DIY? A little handiwork and elbowgrease can lead to big savings. Explore our library of frugal recipes, home repair and maintenance tips, homemade cleaner recipes, craft and gift suggestions, and reuse/recycling projects; and put your do-it-yourself skills to the test.
Frugal recipes can be good to your budget and your waistline. Cook your way through our collection of simple, healthy meals that cook up fast.
- Frugal Soup Recipes: Warm up and fill up while still keeping your wallet full with these recipes.
- Meatless Meals: The cost of meat can add a lot to your grocery bill. You can still get good nutrition from these meatless meals.
- Casserole Recipes: The beauty of casseroles is that they make great leftovers and lunches, and can also be made ahead and frozen.
- Homemade Bread: Step by step for making your own wheat bread, as well as other recipes.
- Make Your Own Ingredients: See 41 foods and ingredients you should make yourself.
- Mixes to Make by the Jar: Make your own mixes rather than buying them at the store. You'll know all of the ingredients, and you can even give them as homemade gifts.
- 5-Ingredient Meals: Keep it simple and save.
Make Your Own Cleaners
Frugal cleaning tips and recipes to help you clean your home without a lot of expense or chemicals.
- Cleaning with Vinegar: Learn 25 ways you can clean with vinegar, from top to bottom in your house.
- Cleaning with Baking Soda: You can use baking soda to clean in many ways, and it deodorizes as well.
- Powdered Laundry Detergent Recipe: You will save money by making your own.
- Nearly-Free Stain Removers: 10 surprising ways to get stains out of your clothes without buying a special cleaning product.
Make Your Own Health & Beauty Products
Recipes for all those must-have health and beauty products.
- Liquid Hand Soap Recipe: You can turn any bar soap into liquid hand soap.
- Foaming Hand Soap Recipe: Go one step further and save by making your own foaming hand soap, wasting less soap each time you wash.
- Hand Sanitizer Recipe: It's easy to make your own for waterless washing.
- Homemade Deodorant: If you want to avoid chemicals and fragrances, you can make your own.
- Aftershave Recipe: The surprise ingredient is dirt cheap.
- Homemade Mouthwash: This solution is cheap and recommended by none other than the National Cancer Institute.
- Frugal Teeth Whitener: There is an inexpensive way to get whiter teeth.
- Homemade Dandruff Shampoo: Tame dandruff with these three solutions.
- Make Your Own Hair Spray: No more aerosol cans in the trash.
- Leave-in Conditioner Recipe: Get rid of frizz and tangles cheaply.
- Make Your Own Hair Gel: Don't spend big bucks on hair products, use this natural recipe.
Home Repairs and Maintenance
A well-maintained home is a frugal home. Learn how to handle basic – and not so basic – home repairs and maintenance on your own.
- Home Maintenance Checklist: Use this list to ensure you are doing the right tasks monthly as well as each season of the year.
- How to Repair Anything: Your quick guide to repair tutorials - indoors, outdoors, auto, clothing.
- Home Repairs You Shouldn't Put Off: Save money by repairing these as soon as you detect a problem.
- How to Clean and Maintain Your Refrigerator: Keep your refrigerator performing well with five maintenance tasks.
- How to Maintain Your Freezer: Use these five steps to keep your freezer in good condition.
- How to Clean Your Washing Machine: Keep the musty smell and soap scum at bay with these steps.
- How to Clean and Maintain Your Dishwasher: Extend the life of your dishwasher and ensure your dishes are sanitized.
- Homemade Drain Cleaner: Use two ingredients from your cupboard.
- How to Unclog a Toilet (Without a Plunger): How to use vinegar and baking soda when you don't have a plunger handy.
- Get Rid of Roaches Naturally: Use this recipe to send them running.
- Get Rid of Ants Naturally: Six solutions for ants.
Crafts and Gifts
Frugal craft and gift ideas to keep your fingers busy and your wallet happy.
- Frugal Crafts and Recipes for Kids: Have fun with these projects.
- Frugal Sewing Projects: Make your own as well as learning how to do simple sewing repairs.
- Thrift Store Bargains for Crafters: What to look for at thrift stores when you want to turn trash into treasures.
- Make a Sweater Bag: Turn sweaters into a fun bag.
- Make a Wine Cork Wreath: A nice gift for an oenophile.
- Make a Button Bouquet: Use those stray buttons to make flowers.
- Make Popsicle Soap: A great gift for summer birthdays.
- Make a Bundt Cake Candle: A festive project.
- Gifts from the Kitchen: Homemade gifts they will enjoy.
- Homemade Gifts Ideas: Even more projects for personalized gifts.
Turn old into new with these clever and frugal reuse/recycling projects.
- Don't Throw That Out: 15 things you should never toss. Find out what to do with them.
- Uses for Old Jeans: Five projects that use your old jeans.
Uses for Brown Paper Bags: 13 ideas that use them and save money.
Uses for Coffee Cans: 10 ways you can use coffee cans.
- Uses for Old Buttons: Nine fun and easy crafts.
- Clever Uses for Ice Cube Trays: Eight great uses for them - you may even want to buy more!
- Uses for Plastic Newspaper Sleeves: Four ways to use them.
- DIY Magazine Storage Boxes: Turn empty cereal boxes into organizers.
- Make a Rag Wreath: Save on seasonal decor.
- Make Sweater Mittens: Turn old sweaters into warm woolen mittens.