Who is This Credit Card Best For?
Diligently searches for the best products and delights in a good bargain
Prioritizes sticking to their budget while buying what they want and need
Since the Disney Premier Visa lets you earn “Disney Rewards Dollars” good for Disney services and merchandise instead of cash back, this card is definitely best for someone who knows they want to use rewards for Disney gear or vacations. The Disney “perks” you get with this card can also be beneficial, but mostly for people who are planning a Disney vacation in the near future.
Don’t confuse this card with the Disney Visa Card, which offers 1% in Disney Rewards Dollars on all purchases with no annual fee.
Still, the fact this card charges an annual fee reduces its value. While the Disney Premier Visa does offer 2% back in Disney Rewards Dollars per $1 spent on gas, groceries, dining, and most Disney purchases, this isn’t that great since you can find cash-back credit cards that give you 2% back on all purchases or even cards that offer 5% back in rotating quarterly categories, both without an annual fee.
Access to special Disney perks
Easy-to-reach sign-up bonus
Underwhelming 0% interest offer
Limited rewards redemption options
- Qualify for special Disney perks: This card does offer a few perks you won’t get with a traditional cash-back credit card. For example, you will receive access to cardmember-only events in Disney stores and properties, discounts on merchandise and dining, and savings on onboard purchases made with Disney Cruise Lines.
- Easy-to-reach sign-up bonus: You only have to spend $500 in three months to earn the sign-up bonus.
- 0% interest offer is underwhelming: The fact this card grants 0% interest for six months on select Disney vacation packages is a nice feature, but underwhelming compared to other 0% interest offers. Many 0% interest credit cards extend the interest-free period for up to 18 months, which means you could have a lot more time to pay off your vacation before the interest kicks in.
- Limited rewards redemption options: You can only redeem Disney Rewards Dollars for Disney goods and services or for statement credits to cover airfare. That may be fine if you visit Disney parks frequently, but you could wind up with rewards you cannot use (or having to redeem them for Disney merchandise you do not want) if you don’t wind up taking a Disney vacation.
Disney Premier Visa Sign-Up Bonus
The Disney Premier Visa gives out a $200 statement credit when you spend $500 on your card within three months. This initial bonus is actually rather good considering the low spending requirement, and it’s better than the sign-up bonuses many competing cash-back credit cards offer.
Earning Points & Rewards
The Disney Premier Visa gives cardholders 2% in Disney Rewards Dollars for each $1 spent at grocery stores, gas stations, restaurants, and on most Disney purchases. You also earn 1% in Disney Rewards Dollars for every $1 you spend on other purchases, and there are no limits to the rewards you can earn.
Disney Rewards Dollars expire five years after the month they were first earned. That’s a pretty long time, but it’s still important to know you’ll eventually lose these rewards if you don’t use them.
Once you sign up for the Disney Premier Visa and start racking up rewards, you can cash them in at a rate of $1 per Disney Rewards Dollar. Non-vacation-package redemptions must be made after transferring rewards to a Disney “redemption card,” however, which adds another layer of complexity to the process. Also note that you can only order a redemption card once you have at least $20 in Disney Rewards dollars in your account, although you can reload an existing redemption card when you have at least $10 in rewards saved up.
Redemption options include Disney theme park tickets and resort stays, along with Disney resort shopping and dining. You can also redeem rewards for:
- Disney Cruise Line packages and onboard purchases
- Most items you can purchase in Disney stores
- Disney and Star Wars movies at participating theaters
The Disney Premier Visa also lets you redeem Disney Rewards Dollars for statement credits toward airline travel, although redemptions start at 50 Rewards Dollars for $50 in airfare. All you have to do is use your credit card to pay for your airline tickets, and then you can redeem your Rewards Dollars to cover the purchase. You must request your airfare credit within 60 days of the charge to qualify for the credit.
How to Get the Most Out of This Card
Considering each Disney Rewards Dollar earned with the Disney Premier Visa is worth $1 each no matter how you redeem them, there aren’t many ways to maximize points earned with this card. On the other hand, you should use your credit card for all dining, gas, groceries, and Disney purchases to make the most of its 2% earning category.
You should also plan to use this card during any visits to Disney stores or properties to take advantage of the shopping discounts and other perks.
If you are planning an upcoming Disney vacation that qualifies, you could take advantage of the six-month 0% interest offer to spread out the cost of the trip and earn a few Rewards Dollars while you’re at it.
For the rest of your spending, you should look for a rewards or cash-back credit card that offers more than 1% back on regular purchases.
Disney Premier Visa’s Excellent Perks
In terms of superior benefits, the Disney Premier Visa offers one perk editors of The Balance consider “excellent:”
- Insurance coverage for lost or delayed baggage: You can get up to $100 per day in reimbursement if your baggage is delayed by more than six hours and you’re stuck buying toiletries and other supplies. This coverage is good for up to three days.
Disney Premier Visa’s Other Benefits
- Extended warranties
- Insurance for stolen or damaged purchases
The Disney Premier Visa also comes with some non-traditional credit card perks related to the Disney brand. These include 10% off select shopping and dining at select Disney locations, character experiences at Disney parks, discounts on onboard purchases from Disney Cruise Line, cardmember-only events at Disney stores, and 10% off select Disney purchases in stores and online.
Recently, Chase received the fourth spot in J.D. Power’s 2019 U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Study. Chase received 807 out of 1,000 possible points in the study, and the industry average was 806.
Chase offers 24/7 customer service on the phone and a mobile app. Chase also provides free access to your credit score via its Credit Journey service.
Chase’s Credit Journey service is open to anyone, not just customers of the bank.
Chase offers standard security features on its credit cards.
Disney Premier Visa Fees
Fees charged by the Disney Premier Visa aren’t out of the ordinary, but you should be aware of the 3% foreign transaction fee you’ll pay for purchases made abroad.