A Review of the Free Torrent Client Deluge
Deluge is a free torrent client that supports a wide number of features through the use of plugins.
Deluge is also free of advertisements and really easy to use, but includes plenty of advanced options if you need them.
- Simple design
- Quick installation
- Lets you build your own torrents
- Supports plugins
- Unable to search for torrents from inside the program
More About Deluge
Here are some additional features found in Deluge:
- Deluge can be installed on Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP, macOS, and Linux
- Torrents can be added by a torrent file, URL, and info hash
- Deluge can automatically import torrent files it finds in a folder you specify
- Bandwidth settings can be adjusted to define the maximum value for various settings, like the number of simultaneous connections, upload and download speed, connection attempts per second, upload slots, and more
- When adding a torrent to Deluge, you can select which files out of that torrent that you want, which means you don't have to download the entire set of files in the torrent to just get the files you're after
- The total number of torrents that are active, downloading, and seeding can be adjusted, as well as the seed ratio limit and seed time limit
- Active torrents can be moved up and down in the download queue to prioritize downloads
- Program interface can be password protected
- Incoming and outgoing ports can be changed
- Can enabled/disable UPnP, LSD, DHT, NAT-PMP, and Peer Exchange
- Completed downloads can be setup to move to a different folder
- Encryption can be enabled for inbound and/or outbound traffic
- Lots of plugins can be downloaded from Deluge's Plugin page to add more features to the program
My Thoughts on Deluge
While downloading torrents with Deluge, you can see all the useful information you'd expect to see, like the speed, estimated completion time, how long the torrent has been downloading, and the number of seeders.
This information is very easy to access and is always showing below the torrents.
I really like the fact that there are plugins available for Deluge that are completely free to use. Several are actually added when you install the program, but you can also download others. One that I particularly like is an RSS downloader. Popular torrent clients like uTorrent come with this built-in, so it's nice to see the option with Deluge as well.
I say above that Deluge doesn't support searching for torrents from inside the program. Torrent clients like FrostWire let you search for torrents and then start downloading them without even having to exit the program, which is really nice. Deluge unfortunately doesn't allow this.