How to Start a Cover Letter With Examples and Tips
What's the best way to start a cover letter for a job? The first sentence or two of your cover letter are the most important ones. Recruiters and hiring managers might spend mere seconds scanning your application. To make your cover letter stand out, you need to grab their attention right away.
What should these all-important first sentences say? Keep in mind that you’re hoping to differentiate yourself from the competition.
That might mean highlighting a contact, providing a quick window into your relevant background and experience, and/or emphasizing a significant accomplishment.
Think about why the hiring manager why he or she should select you, above all other candidates, for an interview, and you’ll be on the right track.
How to Start a Cover Letter
Be direct. In these opening sentences, you want to explicitly let the reader know which position you're applying for. For example:
"I am interested in the Coordinator position at ABC company."
Mention a contact. If someone referred you to the position, include that information as well. For example:
"Jane Doe let me know about the job, and suggested I apply for the position."
State an accomplishment. Try to state an accomplishment from your previous job. If you can, show how you added value to the previous company you worked for. You might even add the job title you had if it is similar to the one you are applying for.
Express excitement. Convey your passion for your work, and your excitement about the job and company. Your cover letter is an opportunity to sell yourself to the hiring manager, and to share why you're well qualified for the job. For example:
"I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to meet with you to discuss what I have to bring to the position at ABC company."
Use keywords. If you can include any keywords from the job listing, do so. For example, you might mention a skill you have that was included in the listing. Don't overdo it though. You want your letter to read naturally, not appear like it's stuffed with keywords.
Personalize Your Cover Letter
When you're not sure how to get started, review these examples of cover letter openings, but be sure to tailor your introduction to your personal circumstances and the job for which you are applying.
Cover Letter Opening Sentence Examples
- As an Information Technology professional with high-level management experience in the IT industry, I learned that the best way to achieve success was to motivate the resources I had with well-defined objectives and empowerment.
- I am very interested in the entry-level position that is available at ABC Investment Partners. I recently graduated from XYZ University College and my courses in investments, finance, and business have given me a solid base upon which I plan to build to build my career.
- I am writing to express my strong interest in the International Marketing position open at WellCam, Inc. My colleague Janna Doling recommended that I contact you directly about this position, due to my years developing successful campaigns for XYZ Company.
- I'm writing to express my interest in the Editorial Assistant position listed on Monster.com. Given my five years of editorial experience and excellent capabilities, I would appreciate your consideration for this position.
- I have a very strong interest in pursuing a teaching career. With experience working at both the elementary and high school levels, as well as in activities outside of the traditional classroom, I have a diverse background with much to offer.
- I have the pleasure of being acquainted with one of the Counselors on your staff, Eleanor Seville. She let me know about the open position and recommended that I contact you.
- I was excited to read about the Administrative Assistant job opening at XYZ company. I have several years of administrative experience in a variety of fields including insurance and finance.
- It is my understanding that you have been deluged with resumes since Computer World released their list of the best companies at which to work. Mine is one more, but I do have experience that is hard to come by.
- My proven track record of successfully performing complex analyses on various corporations makes me an ideal candidate for the Analyst opportunity that you have advertised
What to Write In the Rest of Your Cover Letter
Here are more examples of each section, plus samples of complete cover letters.
- Parts of a Cover Letter (an overview of each section)
- Cover Letter Contact Section (what to include for yourself and the employer)
- Cover Letter Salutations (options for writing a cover letter greeting)
- Cover Letter Body Section (how to pitch your qualifications for the job)
- Cover Letter Closing (the best way to end a cover letter)
- Cover Letter Signature (how to format the signature on a hard copy and an email message)
- Sample Cover Letters (professionally written cover letter examples)