Understanding Condo Insurance and Co-op Insurance

The Essential Information You Need to Buy the Best Condo Insurance

Modern condo and coops
What kinds of insurance do you need for your condo or coop?. olaser/GettyImages

Do You Own a Condominium (Condo) or Cooperative Apartment (Co-op)? Thinking of Buying One?

Insurance for co-ops and condos is a lot more complicated than homeowner insurance. A lot of people invest in condos without understanding the full implication of their responsibility, or may run into a series of frustrations and surprises because they didn't understand how their condo insurance works. Co-ops also have their own issues, very much like Condos.

You can avoid problems and save money by understanding exactly how your condo or co-op insurance works, how it relates to your association policy, and what your responsibilities will be if you have a claim.

Do You Really Need Condo Insurance?

Every condo owner or co-op owner should have their own insurance. One of the problems that owners face when purchasing condos or coop's is confusion about the insurance. Unlike homeowners, they do not always need to provide a binder of insurance to the mortgage company, because the basic building itself is insured on the condo or homeowner association policy. This sometimes leads condo owners to think that everything is covered, so they forget about purchasing the individual policy. 

This step-by-step will take you through the insurance basics of owning a property like a condo and co-op as well as tips to help you figure out the coverage you need so you don't have any surprises or extra expenses in a claim.

The Two Insurance Policies You Need for a Condo or Coop

When you own a condo or co-op you will have two insurance policies that cover your investment in your unit and personal belongings. 

  1. Your own insurance policy
  2. The master policy - which is managed by the condo association, HOA or coop board

Your Own Condo Insurance Covers:

  • Your Personal Liability
  • Your Personal Property
  • Your Improvements, Betterments, Additions or Alterations.

In addition to the basic coverages, condo and all residential insurance policies contain numerous clauses which limit coverages on certain items of high value. Depending on how relevant each of these coverages are to you personally, you may also want to learn more about a rider for jewelry, fine arts or other limited items, as well as umbrella liability.

Your insurance representative will be able to review your coverage options and recommend suitable insurance endorsements if you would like to adjust or improve your coverage. 

Claims Problems Specific to Condo Owners

When you have a claim that involves the building and your unit, you are not just dealing with one insurance company or policy. A condo or co-op owner will have to rely on both the building master policy and their own policy to settle the claim. Sometimes if a third party like another unit owner is also involved and you feel they were negligent or responsible for the damage, then the insurance of other unit owner may also come into play. All insurers will have to figure out what each party's actual loss is and who is responsible for paying before settling the claim. This is often a several step claims process.

A common type of claim in condos and coops where several of the insurance policies are required to pay out are water damage claims.

Depending on the type of coverage the master HOA policy has, you may also run into gaps in coverage. Don't get stuck in a difficult or unexpected claim situation.

What You Need to Know About Condo Insurance

We are going to cover everything you need to know about the insurance implications for your condo insurance so that if a claim happens you know exactly what you're in for, and how to get the best claim settlement. Including:

  • Condo Insurance : Unit Assessment Coverage and Shared Areas
  • Questions You Need to Ask Your Condo Association about the HOA Insurance
  • Understanding All In vs Bare Walls In HOA Master Policy Coverage
  • Major Risks and Perils Not Automatically Covered In Most Condo and Co-op Policies
  • Warning: Not Reading Your HOA or Condo Association Insurance Policy Could Cost You Hundreds Of Thousands of Dollars

First, lets start with the difference between Condo and Co-op, and Homeowner Insurance.

Difference Between Condo Insurance and Home Insurance and Co-ops

condo or coop interior modern design
What is the Difference Between a Condo and Coop and Home?. Caiaimage/Tom Merton/ Getty Images

Although co-ops and condos may seem quite similar as a living spaces, they are actually very different legally and financially. Because of the legal differences between condos and co-ops, the way they are insured varies. 

Getting the Best Insurance for Your Condo or Co-op

To understand Condo Insurance and Co-op Insurance we need to look at the difference between Condos and Coops and how the needs for these types of homeowners vary from standard single family home owners needs

How Does a Co-op Work?

Co-op's (sometimes referred to as coop's) are owned by a corporation, which means that as an owner of the unit, you don't actually own the building or the property, what you do own is a share of the holdings of the corporation. Small co-op's may only have 2 or 3 owners, whereas large co-ops may have hundreds of share holders. In the event of a loss, the share of ownership in the building will come into play.  Think of co-ops as multi-unit apartment buildings. The building has one owner: the corporation, and the residents are tenants. The way they get the right to live there is via purchase of shares in the building. They do not own the walls or any specific part of the building. The co-op management is taken care of by all members (share holders), like a community. The building is a therefore a communal property that may be unevenly divided based on the number of shares each "owner" has purchased.

How Does a Condo Work?

Condo's are owned by the condo owner. The condo owner usually owns their unit from the walls inward. Condo owners are property owners of their unit. The condo building is made up of all the individual units, plus the common areas or shared areas. A master insurance policy is usually responsible for insuring the condo structure as a whole, including the shared areas, and then each individual condo unit owner is responsible for protecting their personal liability, their specific unit features (additions, alterations or upgrades) as well as their personal property.

Why Is Condo or Co-op Insurance Different than Home Insurance?

As you can see by the definitions above, the owner of the building is different in all of these situations.

Condo Insurance and Owner Responsibilities

In one circumstance you have the condo, where the owners own the unit they have purchased. This means that they potentially own the walls, ceilings and floors of their dwelling, but not the building itself. So in a condo the owner has to insure the unit and their contents.

Home Insurance and Owner Responsibilities

In a home, you have one owner for building and contents and responsible for anything that happens as a result of your actions or ownership of your property. It is pretty straightforward.

Co-op Insurance and Owner Responsibilities

Where-as owners of a co-op do not own their unit at all, they are only owners of a percentage of the building, which means that the insurance they need for their personal property is really very much like a tenant policy. And a separate policy will cover the building managed by the corporation. The tenant insurance would be in the co-op owner name, and the building will be in the corporation's name. 

Condo Insurance : Unit Assessment Coverage and Shared Areas

swimming pool in a condo
Who is responsible for damages in the shared areas of condos or coops?. Elfi Kluck/Getty Images

Understanding Shared Areas and Unit or Loss Assessment in Condos 

One of the more difficult things to understand with condo and coops is how claims play out for the shared areas of the building. Here is what you need to know to help you understand why these coverages are important.

What is a Shared Area in a Condo or Co-op

Shared Areas represent areas that are not within the unit dwelling you occupy, but are on the property. 

Examples of shared areas include: Hallways, Elevators, Gardens, Rec Rooms, Gyms, Pool Areas, etc. 

Condo Owner Liability for Shared Areas

Special assessments may make you liable for:

  • a portion of  medical costs or damages to a guest being injured in the shared areas of the property
  • claims arising from injuries in shared areas of the building.

Why is Loss Assessment Coverage Important?

Loss assessment helps protect you from the unexpected expenses that you may have to pay as a result of damages and issues related to the building your condo is in. 

Master Policy Coverage and Unit Assessments After a Claim

When the Master Policy or Home Owner Association (HOA) policy covers a loss, but the damage exceeds coverage available in the HOA insurance policy, the members of the association and owners of the individual units may then become liable for their shared portion of the damage that the underlying association insurance was not sufficient to cover.

The Master Policy of a Condo Association or HOA May Have a High Deductible

Since the condo master policy is a commercial building insurance the deductible is usually quite high, sometimes ranging over $10,000. When the deductible becomes payable in a claim, the amount may be divided among all the owners through an assessment.

Loss Assessment Insurance Limits

Policies have specific limits for loss assessment coverage on your individual condo policy. Make sure to find out what your limit is, and also find out if there is a limit for assessments due to your deductible.

Top Questions to Ask Your Association About the HOA Insurance

Distressed woman in a claims disaster in her condo
What coverage will your HOA policy provide in a major disaster or claim. tBoyan/GettyImages

Most condo owners are so focused on buying their condo, that they rarely take the time to read all the fine print in the governing documents of their Home Owner Association (HOA) association or the master insurance policy. 

You should find out about these things before you purchase your condo because this information could significantly vary between properties. In the same way you research what the condo fees will be, you should understand the coverage the association insurance will provide.

Beware! Not Reading Your HOA or Condo Association Insurance Policy Could Cost You Hundreds Of Thousands of Dollars

As a condo owner you are liable for your portion of costs associated to damages to the building and shared areas. Never assume that the association has gone out of their way to get the best coverage for the building and protected your individual interests.

Just like you as an individual try and find ways to save on your home insurance costs, the HOA or Condo Association is always looking for ways to save costs on the master policy.

Questions You Need to Ask Your HOA About Water Damage Coverage on the Master Policy

  • Does the master policy cover water damage
  • Does the master policy cover water back up?
  • What is the deductible?
  • Is it per unit, or as a whole? Imagine if the deductible is per unit and you become responsible for water damages that happen to three units,you could not only end up dealing with your own claim, deductibles and liability, but as a result you could end up responsible for the other units deductibles times three!

The Reserve Fund and Your Condo Insurance

Find out if there is a reserve fund to cover the deductible on portions of the HOA Insurance in those cases where there are high deductibles, or if individual owners will be fully responsible for their special assessments on a case by case basis. 

Does Your HOA Policy Cover Flood or Earthquake?

Floods or earthquakes could cause significant damage to the building your unit is in. If your master policy does not cover these things, it is important to find out about so you can discuss your options with your own insurance agent or broker. Flood insurance could also be offered through FEMA

What is the Deductible for Flood, Earthquake or Other Important Coverages

Even if there is coverage for flood or earthquake, it is very important to find out your deducible on the HOA so you know what to expect in a claim or for loss assessments.

What Kind Of Damage Does the HOA Insurance Cover vs Condo Insurance

Understand what is covered by condo insurance
Understand What Your Condo Policy Insures vs. HOA Master Policy Covers. Massimiliano Alessandro / EyeEm / Getty Images

What Does the Association Master Policy Insurance Cover?

Usually the following basic coverages are included in a master policy, however the conditions of coverage vary. For example is the building insured to full value? You will have many questions to ask beyond these basic coverages:

  • Damage to the building
  • Damage to the shared Areas
  • Injury in Shared Areas

Condo association insurance does not cover additions or alterations, appliances, fixtures or improvements which are in your unit, also referred to as the "residence premises". You need to get your own policy to cover anything else, including your belongings and personal liability.

Understanding the Different Kinds of Master Policies

There are two different kinds of policies that might insure the building: "All In" or "Bare Walls" continue on the next page to learn what these cover and how this affects you and your choice of insurance.

Understanding All In vs Bare Walls HOA Master Policy Coverage

fixtures and appliances in a condo kitchen
Who pays for damage to fixtures and built-ins in a condo claim?. Bill Diodato/Getty Images

In order to insure yourself properly and protect yourself you need to understand which parts of the structure of your apartment or condo are insured by the master association's policy. Does the association's policy insure the walls only, or will it include the fixtures that were originally part of the building when it was built? 

The Two Types of Insurance Coverage your Association May Have  

  1. "All In"
  2. "Bare Walls"

"All In" Condo Insurance Usually Covers:

  • Original structure, walls, floor, ceilings and fixtures as it was delivered when the building was originally built.

As the condo owner, you would then only need to insure additions and alterations made since the original structure was built, such as new flooring, upgrades in cabinetry, or bathroom or plumbing fixtures. Some policies may cover the additions and alterations of previous owners, but you need to ask so you can be aware. Sometimes you find an amazing condo or coop apartment and its been fully renovated, and you may assume that's covered on the master policy, but it may not be.

"Bare Walls" Condo Insurance Covers:

  • bare walls
  • floor
  • ceiling

Bare walls will not cover any fixtures, like in bathrooms or anything else.You would need to insure all this on your personal condo policy,.

Choosing Your Personal Condo or Co-op Insurance Policy

Read your condo or association by-laws or for coops the proprietary lease. Then ask questions about the master policy to find out how much insurance you need for additions or alterations on your condo policy.

You may need to insure more than is provided on a standard condo policy by getting an endorsement, or by switching to a high end insurer like ACE (formerly Chubb), who will offer you higher limits in the policy.

Once you know what is covered by the HOA or association, speak to your insurance broker or agent to make sure you choose the right insurance coverage for your needs. You have options.

Beware of These Major Risks Not Covered In Most Condo Policies

Condo building destroyed by a disaster
Beware of what is and isn't covered on your HOA or Condo Association Master Policy. Steven Taylor/Getty Images

Water Damage May Not Be Covered on Your Master Policy

One of the major insurance risks for Condo Owners is water damage claims. When you purchase your personal condo insurance policy make sure and get as much coverage as possible to protect you from any kind of water damage. The problem with condos is that you are at the mercy of your neighbors when it comes to this coverage: if their washing machine breaks down, their sink overflows, or pipe breaks, you have absolutely no control over how people are maintaining their units. Even in the best circumstances, water damage happens and when it does the risks can be huge.

Do not rely on the building HOA insurance policy for water damage. Make sure you also have your own coverage in place to cover damage to your personal property, additions and alterations (otherwise known as betterments, or improvements)

Just Because You Have Loss Assessment Coverage Doesn't Mean All Special Assessments Are Covered!

Say, for example, earthquake damages the building but the building did not have earthquake insurance. Or the earthquake insurance deductible was so high that the damage falls below the amount required to claim. The building may then impose a special assessment on the owners of the units to share in repairs and the cost of damage.

You have loss assessment in your condo policy so you assume it's going to be covered, right? Wrong.

If your personal condo policy did not include the riders like earthquake insurance, then you would not be covered under the loss assessment portion of your policy, because the loss assessment is only for covered losses.