Who Is This Credit Card Best For?
Is turning their passion into a money-making venture See more cards
Diligently searches for the best products and delights in a good bargain See more cards
Prioritizes sticking to their budget while buying what they want and need See more cards
Hits the road often, whether for work or play See more cards
This card is best for business owners and employees who frequently fly American Airlines or partner airlines and can take advantage of reward flights you’ll earn on those airlines. Unlike many airline-branded cards, this CitiBusiness card awards extra points on some non-travel business purchases, so it's also a good option if your business spends heavily on those categories.
High points valuation
Good sign-up bonus
Free checked bag
Few elite travel benefits
Reward earning limitations
- High points valuation: According to calculations by The Balance, the average redemption value of 1 AAdvantage mile is 2.10 cents, which is one of the better airline reward valuations we’ve found. That means it may take fewer points for you to earn award flights.
- Good sign-up bonus: We calculate that this card’s bonus miles are worth about $1,365, on average. Since you only have to spend an average of $1,000 each month after opening the card to earn this competitive bonus, it’s a good deal.
- Free checked bags: This benefit is good for you and four companions, so it has a maximum $150 value on each flight, each way. Even if you travel solo, if you check a bag on two round-trip flights a year at $30 apiece, you’ll more than makeup for future annual fees.
- Few travel benefits: This card doesn’t offer some of the top travel benefits that other travel cards boast, such as credit for Global Entry or TSA Precheck application fees or airport lounge access. It doesn’t even have standard perks like travel insurance or lost baggage coverage.
- Reward earning limitations: If your business expenses don’t fall into the double points categories, your rewards-earning will be slower. Some business travel cards that aren’t airline-branded offer more ways to earn points.
CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard Sign-Up Bonus
If you spend $4,000 on the card within four months of opening it, you'll get 65,000 American Airlines AAdvantage miles, which makes this one of the more valuable airline business card bonuses.
Additional cardholders can also help reach the spend requirement, so between you and cardholding employees, you only need to spend $1,000 per month on this card to earn the bonus.
These bonus miles aren’t available to anyone who has had another CitiBusiness AAdvantage card in the past 48 months.
Earning Points & Rewards
You’ll earn 2 miles per dollar spent on American Airlines purchases, including many flights from American’s 21 partner airlines. There are also opportunities to earn bonus miles on vacation packages booked through the AAdvantage program website.
In addition, you’ll earn 2 miles per dollar spent on rental cars, gas, cable and satellite (including internet) expenses, and telephone and cellphone service.
Airline tickets and rental cars paid for through a third-party website or travel agency won’t earn double miles, nor will any warehouse club gas purchases.
Every $1 spent outside those bonus categories will earn 1 mile.
There’s no cap on the number of miles you or other cardholders can earn. Miles that have credited to your AAdvantage account don’t expire, so long as you have redeemed or earned miles in the past 18 months.
Your AAdvantage miles are best used for flights booked directly with American Airlines or 18 partner airlines via the AAdvantage portal or American Airlines app. Research by The Balance found that the miles you get from this card are worth 2.10 cents each, on average, when redeemed for those flights. That makes them a close second to United’s miles in our calculations of the most valuable miles offered by domestic carriers.
The American Airlines website contains flight award charts, lists of award flight rules, and peak dates. However, The Balance has found the published pricing details don't always line up with the prices shown in AAdvantage portal search results. Even the names of award flights published on the chart are different than what you may see when you search for flights directly.
An airline spokesperson told us flight pricing is becoming more dynamic, so the published charts are good to reference, but the most up-to-date flight prices are shown when you search for flights individually. Look for flights denoted as "web specials" to stretch your miles further, too.
You can also use miles to upgrade your seats on a paid flight.
Although American Airlines miles are most valuable when redeemed for flights, some of the other things you can use miles for include:
- Rental cars and hotel stays
- Vacation packages
- Gift cards
How to Get the Most Out of This Card
Make $4,000 worth of purchases with the card within the first four months to earn the sign-up bonus miles. If possible, most of those purchases should be on qualifying business and travel expenses to earn extra miles on top of the big bonus. If your employees travel, each of your team members should use this card. You’ll rack up miles faster as a group.
Since the $95 annual fee is waived for the first year, there’s no cost to make up right away. After the first year, using this card’s free checked bag benefit on two round-trip flights each year will recoup the annual fee cost. To get the most value from your points, use them to book flights on the American website.
To learn more about earning and using American Airlines AAdvantage miles once you have this card, check out our complete guide to this frequent flyer program.
CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard’s Excellent Perks
Besides the free checked bags, the card offers the following benefit, which our editors have deemed superior to the standard offerings of travel rewards cards:
- American Airlines companion certificate: Spend $30,000 on purchases in a year and get a companion pass for domestic travel (the pass costs $99).
CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard’s Other Features
- Preferred boarding
- 25% off American Airlines inflight food, beverages, and Wi-Fi
- 24/7 assistant for help booking business travel and dining
- Insurance for stolen or damaged purchases
As of Sept. 22, 2019, Citi no longer offers travel accident insurance, and travel and emergency assistance. You may still make travel accident claims on travel purchases made on the card before that date, however.
Citi ranks No. 6 for customer satisfaction among 11 major card-issuing banks, scoring below the industry average in the J.D. Power 2019 U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Study.
But Citi does provide a number of services to improve your experience. Besides 24/7 customer service, you get access to your FICO 8 score for free.
Citi’s Fraud Early Warning system will notify you of suspicious account activity right away. And if you want another layer of protection, you can generate a virtual, temporary Citi credit card number to take the place of your real one while shopping online.
If your card does get stolen or you simply misplace it, you can use the Citi app to instantly block new charges to the card. This feature conveniently does allow recurring transactions to proceed uninterrupted until the matter is resolved. Citi replaces lost or stolen cards for free.
If your identity is compromised, the Citi Identity Theft Solutions team can help you identify compromised accounts, file police reports, and contact creditors to help you and your credit bounce back.
CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard Fees
Good news: This card doesn’t charge many fees. In addition to a handful of standard transaction and penalty fees (which are easily avoided), there’s a $99 annual fee, but it’s waived for the first year. There are no foreign transaction fees or charges for additional cardholders.