Cigna Insurance traces its beginnings back to the beginnings of its parent company. The Insurance Company of North America (INA) was founded in 1792. It provides global coverage for health insurance, dental, life, and disability insurance products.
It has received top ratings from these insurance rating organizations:
- AM Best: “A: Excellent”
- Moody’s Investor Service: “A2: Good”
- Standard & Poor’s (S&P): “A: Strong”
- Fitch: “A: Strong”
The company has also received customer service awards and recognition from J.D. Power & Associates for four consecutive years. ConsumerReports.org rated Cigna with an 84 out of 100 overall consumer satisfaction ratings.
- Cigna is a financially sound insurance company. It has a large dental provider network with over 70,000 dentists and three different dental plans
- Cigna provides dental insurance throughout the U.S. and also in other locations worldwide. It does not offer coverage in the states of New York or Washington.
- Cigna offers three dental plans: myCigna Dental Preventive, myCigna Dental 1000, and myCigna Dental 1500.
Better Business Bureau Rating
As of the time of this writing, Cigna has BBB accreditation pending. Cigna’s file with the BBB was opened in 1929 and the company has an “A+” rating. There are 28 total customer reviews; 26 negative and two neutral reviews. There are 414 total customer complaints listed: 16 advertising/sales issues; 110 billing/collection issues; 16 delivery issues; two guarantee/warranty issues and 270 problems listed with product/services. Cigna has a composite score of 3.73 out of 5 stars.
Cigna Dental Plans
Cigna provides dental insurance throughout the U.S. and other locations worldwide. It does not offer coverage in the states of New York or Washington. It offers three plans to fit your dental insurance needs and budget:
- myCigna Dental Preventive: This plan offers 100% coverage for preventive and diagnostic services. Discounts are available for both restorative and orthodontic services.
- myCigna Dental 1000: This plan has a $50 individual deductible and a family deductible of $150 yearly. The annual maximum benefit is $1,000. You receive coverage for preventive care, diagnostic, and restorative services. There is also a discount for orthodontic work when using an in-network provider.
- myCigna Dental 1500: This plan also has a $50 individual deductible and a family deductible of $150 yearly. The annual maximum benefit is $1,000. You receive coverage for preventive care, diagnostic, and restorative services. The major difference from Dental 1000 is this plan includes a $1,000-lifetime orthodontic care benefit to members of all ages.
Cigna Employer Dental Plans
If your employer offers Cigna Insurance in its employees' benefits package, you may check with your Employee Benefits Director to see if they offer Cigna employer dental coverage. Cigna has four employer-based benefits dental plans. These include Cigna Dental Care (DHMO), Dental Preferred Provider Organization (DPPO), Dental Exclusive Provider Organization (DEPO), and Dental Indemnity.
Benefits and Options
Here are some of the benefits of Cigna dental plans:
- The myCigna platform has a convenient mobile application; this makes it easy to find an in-network dentist. You can also check your coverage and display your insurance ID card with this app.
- You can receive your medical and dental insurance statements combined.
- There is no need to submit claims. This is handled through Cigna network providers automatically.
- With the myCigna.com application, you have access to online bills and claims and have the ability to make payments online as well.
- No referral is required to see an out-of-network dentist for any specialized care.
- You have a very large Cigna network to choose from with over 72,000 dentists in the Cigna preferred provider network.
- You can choose an in-network or out-of-network provider. Of course, you will receive greater savings when choosing an in-network dentist.
- Some discounts available may also apply to out-of-network providers.
Pros and Cons
Pros: Cigna is a financially sound insurance company and has a very large dental provider network with over 70,000 dentists. You can choose an in-network or an out-of-network provider. But you can save the most money using a dentist from the PPO network.
Dental plans cover routine exams, x-rays, and cleanings twice yearly. The basic plan, myCigna Dental Preventive, pays 100%; however, it only covers preventive services. Cigna offers global coverage, so this is something to keep in mind if you may need to travel abroad or move overseas.
Cons: You can choose to use an in-network or out-of-network provider. However, out-of-network charges may be applicable if they are more than the reimbursable amount allowed by Cigna. All plans and options may not be available in every state; there is no coverage in New York or Washington.
While it has good basic dental coverage, it doesn’t cover as much of the costs as some other providers. While Cigna has overall high customer service ratings, there were some complaints listed in the areas of products and services.
To learn more about Cigna’s dental insurance options or its other health insurance products, you can visit the Cigna website. You can also call 1-800-243-6998, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. There is also a home pharmacy delivery number 1-800-285-4812. For policyholders who have further questions about dental benefits visit myCigna.com.