Who Is This Credit Card Best For?
Diligently searches for the best products and delights in a good bargain See more cards
Looks for good quality at a fair price while buying for the household See more cards
Loves being the first to try something new See more cards
Frequently shops with a particular merchant and wants to be rewarded for their loyalty See more cards
The Cabela's CLUB Mastercard, issued by Capital One, is really geared toward avid outdoor enthusiasts who do a lot of shopping and take part in experiences with Cabela’s and Bass Pro stores and properties. The card gives you special access to cardholder-only events for hunters and fishermen.
But even with these perks, you might be better off joining the free Outdoor Rewards Club (no credit application required), and then hunt for a better-earning credit card to shop with, as the card reserves its best rewards rates for those who can meet yearly spending requirements.
Lower APR for Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop purchases
Exclusive perks for cardholders
Spending requirement to get best rewards rate
Can get the same bonus rewards without opening a card
- Lower APR for Cabelas and Bass Pro Shop purchases: Store cards are notorious for their high APRs, but this card actually offers a low rate on brand-affiliated purchases. This is noteworthy if you ever end up carrying a balance after stocking up for a big camping or fishing trip (although it’s always best to pay off balances ASAP).
- Exclusive perks for cardholders: Instantly gain access to discounts, promotions, in-store events and giveaways. For example, one recent promotion offered an additional 10% off if you paid with your CLUB card and entered a promo code. There’s also a price-match guarantee, and for CLUB Members, Cabela’s will beat competitors’ prices by 5%. Finally, there are a number of Signature Events (hunting and fishing expeditions) each year that are just for CLUB members.
- Spending requirement to get top rewards rate: Many of the best store cards— including one from major outdoor retailer REI—offer 5% back on purchases with no spending threshold. The Cabela’s Card requires you to spend $25,000 a year to get 5% back on bonus categories.
- Can get the same bonus rewards rate on store purchases without opening a card: Cabela’s already has an Outdoor Rewards program that anyone can join for free and also allows customers to earn 2% back on purchases—regardless of the payment method.
Bonus for New Cardholders
New cardholders can receive up to $50 in points. The first $20 is a no-brainer since you earn it as soon as you get approved for the card. To earn the additional $30 requires an awful lot of work—you have to make five purchases at Bass Pro Shops or Cabela's within 30 days of account approval. If you can hit the spending requirements, it will take up to 60 days for your bonus to appear in your account. You can also earn free gear.
Some retailers offer much more for doing less. For example, the REI Mastercard will give you a $100 gift card if you make one purchase in the first 60 days. General cash-back and travel reward credit cards typically advertise sign-up bonuses worth $150 or more for reaching a certain spending threshold (usually $500) in the first three months.
Earning Points & Rewards
Earn 2 points per dollar spent at Bass Pro Shops; Cabela’s stores, resorts and restaurants; and participating Cenex locations. This bonus category also includes purchases at the following retailers and locations:
- Tracker Marine Boat Centers
- Metro Rod and Reel Repair
- Wildlife Creations Taxidermy
- Wonders of WIldlife Museum and Aquarium
All other purchases earn 1 point per dollar. You can earn unlimited CLUB Points, and they never expire as long as your account remains open and in good standing.
If you close your account, you forfeit any points you’ve earned.
CLUB Silver and Black Cards
If you can spend at least $10,000 in a year and meet certain credit requirements, you have a chance to upgrade to CLUB Silver status. This status bumps your bonus purchases up from 2 points per dollar to 3 points per dollar. If your spending hits $25,000 in a year, Cabela’s may upgrade you to Black status, which earns 5 points per dollar in the bonus categories.
You can redeem points for merchandise at Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's or at Bass Pro Shops. You can also enroll in Pay with CLUB Points using the Bass Pro Shops mobile app to redeem points at Cabela’s and Bass Pro restaurants and resorts. This includes:
- Big Cedar Lodge
- Big Cedar Golf
- Big Cedar Restaurants
- Bass Pro Shops Restaurants
- Bass Pro Shops Angler’s Lodge
- Big Cypress Lodge
- Wonders of Wildlife
- World Wide Trophy Adventures
You can redeem your points at Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s in-store boat centers, too, and for White River Marine Group boats and Tracker ATVs and UTVs at affiliated independent dealers.
There is no minimum number of Points required for redemption, but you cannot redeem your points for cash or statement credits.
Each point you redeem is worth 1 cent. So, a $25 pair of wool socks would require 2,500 points. The value you get from your points is about average for retail credit cards.
If you’re heading north for a hunting or fishing adventure, you won’t be able to redeem points at Cabela’s and Bass Pro Shops Canada retail stores, Cabela’s Canadian site, or through Cabela’s and Bass Pro Shops non-U.S. catalogs. However, you’ll earn points on any purchases you make through these options.
How to Get the Most Out of This Card
This card has the most value when you can spend $25,000 a year to earn the 5% rewards rate available to CLUB Black members.
If you know that it will take you a few months to pay off a big outdoor equipment haul, the card’s low APR for Cabela’s and Bass Pro Shop purchases can save you a few bucks, too—but carrying a balance will quickly negate much of your earnings.
From time to time, Capital One may offer you special financing deals of 0% for six to 24 months.
Unless you can spend at least $10,000 a year to get Silver status, it’s better to just join Cabela’s Outdoor Rewards program to earn the 2% back in points, and then finding a solid cash-back card that better aligns with your spending style and offers better ongoing rewards.
Cabela’s CLUB Card members will manage the account and pay bills through Capital One, which ranked fifth out of 11 issuers in J.D. Power’s 2020 U.S. Credit Card Satisfaction Study. But, the issuer offers a couple of nice features to all customers like complimentary credit monitoring through it’s CreditWise tool and a user-friendly app.
For customer service issues having to do with points redemption, you’ll have to go through the Cabela’s CLUB hotline during the hours of 7 a.m.-12 a.m. Eastern, Monday through Friday, or 8 a.m.-11 p.m. Eastern on Saturday and Sunday.
Capital One cards offer standard security features like fraud alerts and zero fraud liability.
Cabela's CLUB Mastercard’s Fees
The Cabela's CLUB Mastercard has no annual fee or foreign transaction fees.