AFC Home Club is one of the top choices in home warranty companies and makes it easy to receive an online quote. The company asks for very little personal information to provide a quote. That can be reassuring to anyone who may be worried about protecting personal information in this day and age where identity theft runs rampant. AFC Home Club was established in 2009 and has a BBB rating of "B."
Available plan options include:
- Platinum: Clothes dryer, clothes washer, kitchen refrigerator with ice maker, water heater (gas and/or electric), oven, range, stove/cooktop, dishwasher, garbage disposal, garage door opener, built-in microwave, air conditioning/cooler, heating system or built-in wall unit, electrical system, plumbing system, plumbing stoppages, and ductwork.
- Gold: Same coverage as platinum, minus built-in microwave, plumbing stoppages.
- Silver: Same basic coverage minus microwave (built-in), AC, heating, electrical, plumbing, plumbing stoppages, and ductwork.
- Systems: Water heater (gas and/or electric), air conditioning/cooler (1 unit), heating systems or built-in wall unit, electrical system, and plumbing system.
America’s Preferred Home Warranty, Inc. offers several deductible options to match your budget. You can get plans with $50, $100 or $125 deductible options. Coverage is effective at closing or 30 days from payment. The company was established in 1999 and has a Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating of “A+”. Coverage is available in 33 states and the District of Columbia.
America’s Preferred Home Warranty has warranty plans for condo, townhouse, new construction, single-family and multi-family units. Plans vary by state but offer coverage for most home mechanical systems and appliances. Warranty items covered include attic and exhaust fans, built-in dishwashers, built-in microwave, central AC, central heat, electrical, oven/range, plumbing, pool/spa, refrigerators, roof leak repair and more items listed on the warranty service page.
No matter your financial situation, Complete Protection home warranty company has a plan to fit your budget. Five plans are available with premiums ranging from $32 per month to $720 annually. Another great bonus of Complete Protection home warranty plans is that there is no deductible. The plans also pay for preventative maintenance and cover all appliance parts. You can also choose your own repair service technician. Complete Protection has a BBB rating of "A+."
These Complete Protection home warranty plans available are available to home buyers and homeowners:
- Kitchen Laundry plan $32 monthly or $384/year
- Heating/Cooling $34 month or $408/year
- Basic Built-Ins (central heating/cooling, water heater, dishwasher, range) $40 month or $400/year
- Full House $50 month or $600/year
- Full House Plus for $60 monthly or $720/year.
Landmark was established in 2004 and offers home warranty coverage in six states: Arizona, Idaho, Oregon, Texas, Utah, and Nevada. Premiums range from $35 to $55 per month. Coverage is effective at closing or 30 days from payment. Landmark has a BBB rating of "B+."
To purchase a home warranty plan from Landmark, you must have lived in your home 30 days. Coverage options vary by state. Plan options include:
- Home Systems Plan covers air-conditioning system, heating, electrical system, no-fault coverage, plumbing system, air-conditioning tune-up, heating tune-up, pest control, and subterranean termite treatment
- Total Protection Plan covers air-conditioning system, heating, built-in microwave, central vacuum, dishwasher, garbage disposal, kitchen refrigerator, oven/range/cooktop, washer/dryer, electrical system, garage door opener, no-fault coverage, plumbing system, air-conditioning tune-up, heating tune-up, pest control, and subterranean termite treatment
American Home Shield is one of the oldest and most respected home warranty companies around. It was established in 1971 and has a BBB rating of "B." Premiums range from $29.99 to $34.99 per month with deductible options of $75 to $125. Coverage becomes effective 30 days after purchase.
Plans available include:
- Appliances Plan: Coverage for 10 appliances, including washers, dryers, ovens, cooktops, refrigerators and more.
- Systems Plan: Eleven major home systems including plumbing, AC, electrical and more.
- Combo Plan: Combines the appliances and systems plans for a comprehensive package at a discounted price.
- If these plans do not fit the bill, you can also build your own plan with the systems and appliances that are most important to you.
Home warranty coverage from Select Home Warranty is available nationwide. The company was established in 2012 and has a BBB rating of "B." Premiums range from $429 to $499 with a $75 deductible. Coverage is effective 30 days from purchase. There is a $75 service fee and a $75 cancellation fee.
Three plans are available:
- Platinum Care: Most comprehensive plan for plumbing systems, A/C cooling, electrical systems, clothes washer/dryer, stove/oven, water heater, ductwork and more.
- Gold Care: Coverage for heating system, water heater, plumbing, ductwork, A/C and electrical system.
- Bronze Care: Coverage for clothes washer, garbage disposal, refrigerator, stove/oven, microwave oven (built-in), cooktop, dishwasher and clothes dryer.
HSA Home Warranty offers home warranty protection for homeowners and real estate agents. Real estate agents are protected from mechanical failures after the closing on the home keeping down legal claims for damages. HSA was established in 1984 and has a BBB rating of "B." This warranty isn’t available in all states, including New York, Florida, California, and Texas. Premiums range from $485 to $619 with deductible options of $75 to $100.
Seller coverage is effective the date of the application and lasts for six months. Buyer coverage is effective at closing and continues for 12 months (renewable annually). Coverage options vary by state. Here are some of the most common plans available through HSA:
- Seller/Buyer Coverage: Available with $75 trade call fee for $485 premium; $100 trade call fee for $455 premium.
- Seller/Optional Coverage: Central heat/air, heat pump, thermostat, ductwork and attached humidifier.
- Basic Coverage Plan: Options for sellers and buyers for most home mechanical systems and appliances. Sellers can add coverage for central heat, air, pump and thermostat for an additional $60 premium.
- Buyer Seven-Star Upgrade: The upgrade plan offers additional coverage for several additional appliances and services such as rooftop air conditioning/heating; garage door opener, disposal of replaced equipment and more. The upgrade plan is $149. For an additional premium, you can add coverage form water softeners, water well pumps, swimming pools, hot tubs and more.
For new homeowners who want home warranty coverage as soon as possible, Home Warranty of America’s coverage is effective the date of closing. The company was established in 2009 and has a BBB rating of “B." Premiums range from $44.62 to $53.46 with deductible options of $75 to $100. Home Warranty of America offers coverage nationwide.
Coverage plans include:
- Premiere Plan: Heating, ductwork, plumbing, toilet, sump pump, water heater, hot water dispenser, whirlpool bath, electric, ceiling/exhaust fans, doorbells, burglar alarms, fire alarm, central vacuum, garbage disposal, built-in microwave, range, cooktop, oven, trash compactor, refrigerator and washer/dryer.
- Premier Plus: All the benefits of the premier plan, plus coverage for air conditioning system/cooler, toilet replacement up to $500, plumbing including fixtures, faucets, shower heads, stoppages/clogs and more.
You can also add optional coverage for more items and an additional premium. The full list is available here.
The 8 Best Home Warranty Companies to Buy From in 2018
Protect your home with more than just insurance
Your home is one of your most important assets and when it comes to protecting it — you want the very best options available. One thing you may not realize is that a homeowner’s insurance policy does not offer protection for many valuable items and systems in your home that may break down over time from normal wear and tear, including appliances such as a washers and dryers, HVAC systems, plumbing, electrical systems and roofing leaks (depending on the reason for the leak, it may or may not be covered by homeowner’s insurance).
Even if you have a manufacturer’s warranty for your home appliances and mechanical systems, the warranty may only be effective for a limited time without purchasing extended coverage and may not cover all parts and labor. With so many of your most valuable items left unprotected, you may want to consider purchasing a home warranty to protect against costly repairs/replacements. One advantage of having all your home warranty items with one company is that there is only one plan and one company to call for service.
If you think a home warranty plan may be the right option for you, here are some of the best home warranty companies on the market.