Dental coverage through UnitedHealthOne is available in both individual and employer plans, in 40 states and the District of Columbia. The company has an “A (Excellent)" rating from A.M. Best. Individual deductibles start at $50 and you will never pay a family deductible if you have more than three family members. However, plans do not include coverage for orthodontic care. Six dental plans are available:
- Dental Primary: $50 per person deductible with a $25 co-pay for preventive care. 30% for basic care after deductible. Annual maximum is $1,000 per person.
- Dental Primary Preferred: $50 per person deductible for basic and major services when using an in-network provider. $25 co-pay. The plan pays 30% for basic services after deductible and 50% for major services after deductible. The annual maximum benefit is $1,000.
- Dental Essential: $50 per person deductible for basic services with an in-network provider with no co-pay for preventive services, 30% on basic services after deductible and 50% on major services after deductible. Annual maximum $1,000 per person.
- Dental Essential Preferred: $50 per person deductible for basic and major services when using an in-network provider after deductible, the plan will pay 30% on basic and 50% on major services. Annual maximum is $1,000 per person.
- Dental Premier Choice: $50 combined per person deductible on basic/major services with a network provider. No co-pay is required for preventive services. Basic services have a 20% co-pay after deductible and 50% on major services after deductible. Maximum per person deductible increases each year for the first four years up to a $1,500 benefit.
- Dental Premier Elite: $50 combined deductible for basic/major services with an allowance to use an out-of-network provider. All other benefits are the same as the Dental Premier Choice plan.
Delta Dental is the largest provider of dental benefits in the U.S., providing coverage in 15 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia. The company has an A.M. Best “A (Excellent)" rating and includes a large network with over 140,000 participating dental offices. Individual and group plans are available as well as plans through the Marketplace/Exchange. Delta Dental offers plans designed to help families on a budget with a scheduled services chart that lists fees for preventive, basic and major services upfront. Here is an overview of two individual Delta Dental Insurance Plans:
- DeltaCare USA: This is an HMO-type plan where you can choose a primary care dentist from the preferred provider network and see your costs upfront. There is no waiting period, and no annual maximum or deductible. There is a list of co-pay amounts for every covered procedure so you can plan for costs.
- Delta Dental PPO: Use any licensed dentist of your choice with added discounts if you pick a provider within the preferred dental network. Covered services are paid on a percentage basis of the rental fee. Depending on the services and your state of residence, you may be responsible for a deductible in addition to your percentage payment.
As one of the largest dental insurers in the United States, Humana offers dental insurance plans for individuals, groups, and employers. It gives some special discounts for combining dental/vision coverage, up to $35. You can also save on prescriptions through in-network pharmacies, get discounts on glasses when you combine a vision and dental plan and receive other discounts on services including hearing exams and alternative medical treatments. Here are some of the dental plans available through Humana:
- Humana Preventive Plus Package: Your choice of dentist, in-network or out-of-network. Deductible of $50 per person and $150 per family. The annual maximum benefit is $1,000. Routine cleanings and x-rays are 100% covered.
- Dental Loyalty Plus: Your choice of in-network or out-of-network provider, with a one-time per-person deductible of $150 or $450 per family. Benefit maximums increase yearly up to $1,500 for three years or more with the same plan.
- Dental Preventive Plus: In- or out-of-network dentists with a $50 per person and $150 per family deductible. X-rays and cleanings are 100% covered and there is no co-pay for office visits.
- Dental Savings Plus: Discounted services through in-network providers. This is a discount plan rather than insurance. There is a one-time $15 enrollment fee.
Cigna has excellent financial strength ratings and offers three different dental plan options through its network of more than 70,000 dentists. If you often travel abroad, Cigna’s coverage is global so you won’t have to go without dental care while you are away from home. Another great thing about Cigna Dental is its preventive care coverage option, which covers 100% of preventive care. Costs are discounted when using an in-network provider. Three dental plans are available in all states with the exception of New York and Washington. Some benefits are limited or exclusions to coverage may apply based on your specific state.
- myCigna Dental Preventive: 100% coverage for preventive/diagnostic services with discounts available for restorative/orthodontic services.
- myCigna Dental 1000: Provides an annual maximum benefit of $1,000 with a $50 individual and $150 family deductible. The plan covers preventive, diagnostic and restorative services with discounts available for orthodontic work through an in-network provider.
- myCigna Dental 1500: This plan provides a calendar year maximum benefit of $1,500 per person with preventive, diagnostic and restorative services. Orthodontic benefits are available to all family members on the policy.
Ameritas is well known in the insurance industry as a top provider of dental insurance. The company has an “A (Excellent)" rating with A.M. Best and an “A+” rating with the Better Business Bureau. Dental plans are available to residents of all 50 states. One great thing about Ameritas Dental Insurance is its rewards program, available to policyholders who submit at least one dental claim each year with total benefits paid out below the maximum allowable. If you qualify for rewards and see an in-network provider, you also qualify for an additional PPO Bonus. The maximum rewards and network bonus accumulation is $2,000 in year one and increases to $2,900 in year five. And using a preferred provider qualifies policyholders to receive a 30% discount on out-of-pocket costs. Here are some features that come standard with all Ameritas Dental Plans:
- Preventive services are 100% covered including an annual dental exam and cleaning, as well as fluoride treatments for patients under 14.
- All plans include the “dental rewards” program.
- You can visit any dentist, in-network or out-of-network (additional savings are available when visiting an in-network dentist).
- Save on prescriptions at over 60,000 participating network pharmacies.
The 5 Best Dental Insurance Providers of 2018
Take care of your smile
You can’t put a price on a beautiful smile. But you do want a comprehensive dental insurance plan at a reasonable rate. You can find a dental insurance plan individually or perhaps through your employer’s insurance coverage plan (some employers pay for all or part of their employees' dental coverage as part of their benefits package). When making your choice, it's important to consider your specific needs. Maybe you have kids that need coverage, or you’re trying to maximize the number of discounts you can get. Perhaps you’re a frequent traveler that would benefit from a large network of dentists. Regardless of whether you are buying dental insurance through an employer or purchasing an individual plan, you need a reputable insurer. Here are some of the best options for dental insurance on the market.