The Best Apps to Save Money on Gas
Whether you're a regular car commuter or looking to take a long road trip, if you drive a car, paying for gas is a significant part of your budget. These gas apps can help lighten the load by providing discounts as well as other perks. Make cheap gas a priority at every fill-up and save big over the course of a year.
- App Store Rating: 4.7 stars
- Google Play Rating: 4.5 stars
- Countries: Australia, Canada, U.S.
Gas Buddy is highly rated by both iPhone and Android users. Drive a diesel or a car that requires premium unleaded? You can search based on the type of gas you need and then filter your results by brand, location, and price as well as additional features like restrooms, restaurants, and car washes. The gas app can also alert you to daily deals and price hikes at your local stores. Prices are updated in real-time by the community of users.
Gas Buddy also offers a gas card that saves you up to 25 cents per gallon with every fill-up. You sign up by linking a debit account to your Gas Buddy account, and there's no credit check. For helping the Gas Buddy community by reporting prices, you can become a valued member and earn additional perks like entries into a daily drawing. The app also features road trip guides, station reviews, and money-saving tips.
- App Store Rating: 4.9 stars
- Google Play Rating: 4.4 stars
- Languages: 51
Waze is a community-powered app 130 million strong, but it tells you more than just gas prices. The Israeli-designed app is famous for delivering real-time traffic and road updates, including alerts of speed traps, ambulances, and accidents ahead, without using a ton of your phone’s data.
It can also tell you which routes to take to avoid tolls and exactly when you need to leave to be on time for events/items on your calendar. If you’re trying to save money on gas, driving at a consistent speed below the speed limit is a good idea, and Waze lets you set a sound alert if you exceed the speed limit.
- App Store Rating: 4.0 stars
- Google Play Rating: 4.2 stars
- Languages: English, French
Becoming an AAA member is an investment that can save you time and money if your vehicle breaks down. But did you know that your membership also comes with a great mobile app? This is the mobile version of the AAA TripTik Planner. It allows you to plan all aspects of your trip, including the best places to stop for gas and the most efficient route.
Thousands of gas stations throughout the U.S. are featured, including updated fuel prices. You can also access information about charging stations for electric vehicles and stores/shops/gas stations and hotels that take AAA member discounts.
- App Store Rating: 3.4 stars
- Google Play Rating: 3.4 stars
- Languages: English
Gas Guru is owned by the Yellow Pages. The app interface is a bit more streamlined than some of the other apps, and the data is pulled from the Oil Price Information Service, not users, so there is no need to spend time updating prices at the stations you use. You can use the app to see whether it will be cheaper to buy gas near home or work, labeling frequent locations, and can filter your search by fuel type. As an additional perk, you can also see restaurants, repair shops, and ATMs close by.
- App Store Rating: 4.4 stars
- Google Play Rating: 4.1 stars
- Languages: English, Spanish, Indonesian
When you think of MapQuest, you probably have fond memories of “mapquesting” directions to a place, printing them out, and taking them with you on a road trip. But MapQuest has undergone a 21st-century makeover and has a fresh new look. Not only can you get the same turn-by-turn directions you know and love, but you can also have them read aloud accompanied by satellite imagery and live vector maps.
MapQuest's directions include real-time traffic updates. You can also share your ETA with friends and family, access roadside assistance, make reservations at your favorite restaurants, and compare prices at nearby gas stations.
- App Store Rating: 4.8 stars
- Google Play Rating: 4.6 stars
- Languages: English
Participating vendors—over 17,000 gas stations—provide daily offers through GetUpside, and you will generally save around 25 cents per gallon. You'll need to save your receipts and take a photo in the app to save money, but you get real cash back through a check or Paypal and discounts on car washes, oil changes, and convenience store purchases.
Other Ways to Save on Gas
Apps can help, but there are other practices you can use to save on gas. These include:
- Checking your tire pressure regularly: If your tires are under-inflated, your gas mileage can drop. Cleaning your air filters regularly is also a good idea.
- Filling up on Wednesday or Thursday before 10 a.m.: Most gas stations raise their prices on Thursday afternoons, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays because people may go on long road trips on the weekends.
- Not idling: It wastes gas, even if you’re just doing it to warm up your car in the morning.
- Driving with care: If you drive slowly and safely, taking care when you accelerate and stop, you can lower your fuel consumption.
- Using cruise control: Your car's computer keeps things smooth on the road, which saves on fuel costs.
- Carpooling: Sharing rides with a buddy and splitting the fuel costs is good for the planet and your wallet.
- Reducing weight: The more items or people in your vehicle, the less fuel-efficient it will be.
- Switching: Consider a more fuel-efficient or electric vehicle.
Apple App Store Preview. "Gas Buddy." Accessed Sept. 19, 2020.
Google Play. "Gas Buddy." Accessed Sept. 19, 2020.
GasBuddy. "How Does Pay With GasBuddy Work?" Accessed Sept. 19, 2020.
Apple App Store Preview. "Waze." Accessed Sept. 19, 2020.
Google Play. "Waze." Accessed Sept. 19, 2020.
Apple App Store Preview. "AAA Mobile." Accessed Sept. 19, 2020.
Google Play. "AAA Mobile." Accessed Sept. 19, 2020.
Apple App Store Preview. "Gas Guru." Accessed Sept. 19, 2020.
Google Play. "Gas Guru." Accessed Sept. 19, 2020.
Apple App Store Preview. "MapQuest." Accessed Sept. 19, 2020.
Google Play. "MapQuest." Accessed Sept. 19, 2020.
Apple App Store Preview. "GetUpside." Accessed Sept. 19, 2020.
Google Play. "GetUpside." Accessed Sept. 19, 2020.