April Is What "National Month"?
How Businesses Can Celebrate the Month of April
Many countries adopt causes or special interest groups to highlight and promote during given calendar months. The U.S. is particularly prolific at creating "national month" events to promote business and other interests. April is one of the few months that doesn't have a long list of ridiculous observations, although there are a good many national month observances in the spring. Compare this to July, which actually honors Lasagna Awareness Month.
The following events, industries, causes and emotions—yes, emotions—are observed month-long in April unless otherwise indicated. Even cannabis, Florida tomatoes, celery and soft pretzels are honored...all month long.
April is "National Month" Calendar for:
- African-American Women's Fitness Month
- Alcohol Awareness Month
- Amateur Radio Month
- American Cancer Society Month
- Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month
- Black Women's History Month
- Bowel Cancer Awareness Month
- Celebrate Diversity Month
- Community Service Month
- Confederate History Month
- Distracted Driving Awareness Month
- Financial Literacy Month
- Fresh Florida Tomato Month
- IBS Awareness Month
- Jewish-American Heritage Month
- Keep America Beautiful Month
- Lawn and Garden Month
- Mathematics Awareness Month
- Month of the Military Child
- National Autism Awareness Month
- National Better Hearing and Speech Month
- National Canine Fitness Month
- National Cannabis Awareness Month
- National Car Care Awareness Month
- National Child Abuse Awareness Month
- National Couple Appreciation Month
- National Deaf History Month (March 13 to April 15)
- National Decorating Month
- National Donate Life Awareness Month
- National Fair Housing Month
- National Food Month
- National Fresh Celery Month
- National Garden Month
- National Humor Month
- National Internship Awareness Month
- National Inventor's Month
- National Jazz Appreciation Month
- National Landscape Architecture Month
- National Medical Laboratory Professionals Week (last full week in April)
- National Mental Health Month
- National Month of Hope
- National Multiple Birth Awareness Month
- National Occupational Therapy Month
- National Older Americans Month
- National Parkinson's Awareness Month
- National Pecan Month
- National Poetry Month
- National Safe Digging Month
- National Siblings Day (April 10)
- National Soft Pretzel Month
- National Soy Foods Month
- National STDs Education and Awareness Month
- National Straw Hat Month
- National Volunteer Month
- National Welding Month
- Occupational Therapy Month
- Pets are Wonderful Month
- Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Month
- Records and Information Management Month
- Scottish-American Heritage Month
- Sexual Assault Awareness Month
- Stress Awareness Month
- Thai Heritage Month
- Women's Health Care Month
International and One-Day Observances
Lest we forget the participation of other countries, here are a few international honorees, as well as some causes that are observed elsewhere:
- April is International Guitar Month, recognized in several countries.
- Ontario, Canada recognizes April as Sikh Heritage Month.
- April is National Pet Month in the United Kingdom, although the U.S. waits until May to honor its non-human family members.
- International Pillow Fight Day arrives on April 2 in 2018.
- World Autism Awareness Day also falls on April 2 in 2018.
- World Health Day is April 8, 2018.
Turn These Observances to Your Advantage
Is there a way your business can benefit from promoting itself during "April is" National Month? April offers more than enough causes and interests to choose from. There's something here for just about any business. It's just a matter of figuring out how to best to use the observance or event.