Anchor General Insurance Company is a California insurance company based in San Diego specializing in the niche market of non-standard auto insurance. The company was formerly known as Western Family Insurance Company.
Non-standard auto insurance carriers, such as Anchor General, provide coverage to high-risk drivers who might otherwise find it hard to obtain a policy because of driving violations or traffic accidents. Non-standard carriers also generally can provide drivers with any SR-22 requirements. SR-22 is a financial responsibility filing that the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in some states requires from specific “high-risk” drivers.
Anchor General’s coverage is currently only provided to residents of California and Arizona; however, the company is looking to expand its coverage into more states and also offer other types of insurance in the future. Anchor General Insurance Company of Texas offers coverage exclusively to residents of Texas. Products are sold through agents located in the various states of operation.
Financial Stability and Customer Service Ratings
A.M. Best insurance rating organization has given Anchor General a “bb+” rating with a positive outlook (as of May 2021). Anchor General Insurance Company has an “A+” rating with the Better Business Bureau although it does not have a “BBB” accreditation.
On the BBB website, there are eight negative customer reviews and 22 customer complaints. Of the complaints listed, seven are for billing/collection issues and 15 complaints are for problems with products or services. Overall, the BBB has given Anchor General a one star out of the five-star composite score.
Auto Insurance Products Available
Through Anchor General, you can get the following basic auto insurance coverage options:
- Bodily Injury Liability: Bodily injury coverage pays for bodily injury you cause in a traffic accident to a third party.
- Property Damage Liability: Property damage coverage pays for damages you cause to another person’s vehicle or property in an “at-fault” accident.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP): Personal Injury Protection pays for medical expenses for you or your passengers including loss of earning and additional costs as the result of injuries caused by a covered accident.
- Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist—Bodily Injury: Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage pays for injuries to you or your passengers caused by an uninsured driver or a driver who does not have the state’s legal required limits of liability coverage.
- Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist—Property Damage: This is the same principal as the uninsured/underinsured bodily injury coverage except that it will pay for property damage to your vehicle caused by an uninsured or underinsured motorist.
- Comprehensive: Comprehensive coverage pays for things “other” than a collision such as theft, fire vandalism less your deductible amount.
- Collision: Collision coverage pays for damages to your vehicle caused by an auto accident less your deductible amount.
To use policy-holder services such as viewing your policy or making a payment, you will need to register online with your email address and create a password. Anchor General provides these payment options to policy-holders:
- Online payment options
- Phone payment options
- Credit card payments
- Low down payment options
Claims reporting is handling by telephone during office hours of Monday – Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Pacific Standard Time, (PST). You can also reach the claims department by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Anchor General has its share of customer complaints, especially in the area of products and customer service. High-risk drivers can generally expect to pay higher rates and may have to wait for tickets/accidents to fall off their driving record to be eligible for a lower insurance premium or auto insurance discounts.
However, if you are a high-risk driver looking for a policy with the state’s minimum insurance requirements or if you have an SR-22 requirement in the states of California, Washington, Oregon and Arizona and in Texas through Anchor General Insurance Company of Texas; you can find the coverage you need with flexible payment options. To contact Anchor General about its auto insurance program, you can email email@example.com, call 800-542-6246 or visit the Anchor General Insurance Website.