Anyone who wants to earn cash back without an annual fee could benefit from this card, but consumers who spend a lot of money at grocery stores, gas stations, and department stores will earn the most. This card is best for rewards enthusiasts who want to make the most of their spending and redeem points for statement credits, gift cards, or merchandise.
The Amex Blue Cash Everyday ranks among the best grocery cards out there. However, if you buy most of your groceries at Target, Walmart, or wholesale clubs like Costco, you will only earn 1% cash back on those purchases.
If you spend at least $61 per week on groceries, you may be better off getting the American Express Blue Cash Preferred® Card. It has a $95 annual fee, but earns 6% back at U.S. supermarkets and select US streaming subscriptions, plus 3% back at US gas stations and on transit. Other purchases will earn 1%.
No annual fee
Higher rewards in bonus categories
Multiple redemption options
Introductory APR on purchases and balance transfers
No option to redeem points for travel
Earning caps in bonus categories
High ongoing APR
- No annual fee: Not having to pay an annual fee is pretty common for cash-back credit cards, but this one offers lucrative bonus categories that could leave you further ahead than some competing cards.
- Higher rewards in bonus categories: Earning 3% back on up to $6,000 at U.S. supermarkets each year can be valuable. If you max out this category, you’ll earn $180 in cash back. You’ll also earn 2% back at gas stations and select department stores, which could add up fast. The average U.S. household spends nearly $2,000 a year on gas, which could earn you $40 in cash back.
- Multiple redemption options: You can redeem points for statement credits, gift cards, or merchandise. Having more than one way to redeem your points makes earning rewards a lot more fun.
- Introductory APR on purchases and balance transfers: The Blue Cash Everyday Card comes with 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months, followed by a variable APR of 14.49% to 25.49% variable. A 3% balance transfer fee (minimum $5) does apply to transferred balances. This offer can help you consolidate and pay down high interest debt, but it also lets you make large purchases and pay them off without interest for 15 months.
- No option to redeem points for travel: This card doesn’t let you transfer points to airline and hotel partners like you can with cards that earn American Express Membership Rewards® points. If you want to use points for travel, you’re better off with a different card.
- Earning caps in bonus categories: Racking up 3% back on U.S. grocery spending is great, but don’t forget that this rate only applies to the first $6,000 you spend each year. After that, you’ll earn 1% back, which is pretty “meh.”
- High ongoing APR: After 15 months, the Blue Cash Everyday Card will charge you a variable APR of 14.49% to 25.49% variable depending on your creditworthiness. If you plan to carry a balance for the long haul, you may want to look for cards with a lower ongoing APR.
Blue Cash Everyday Card Welcome Bonus
Sign up for this card and you’ll earn a $150 welcome bonus after you spend $1,000 on your card within three months of account opening. Your welcome bonus comes in the form of a statement credit, meaning you can use it to cover any purchase you want.
We love this welcome bonus since it’s easy to earn—you only have to spend $334 per month to reach the threshold. This bonus is also pretty standard among cash-back credit cards with no annual fee.
Earning Points & Rewards
Cash-back credit cards tend to have their own unique earning schemes, and the Blue Cash Everyday Card is no exception. Not only will you earn 3% back on up to $6,000 in grocery store spending each year, but you earn 2% back at gas stations and select department stores. You also earn 1% back on all other purchases. This card aims to reward consumers who spend a lot in popular categories, although these earning tiers only apply to U.S. purchases.
American Express notes that superstores such as Target and Walmart don’t earn the 3% bonus points (but they will earn 1%). Wholesale clubs such as Costco and Sam’s Club are also excluded from the 3% earning category. You will also not earn additional rewards at gas stations that are part of a larger store or wholesale club.
The Amex Blue Cash Everyday Card is a basic cash-back credit card, but you can still cash in your points in more than one way. Redemptions start once you’ve accrued at least $25 in rewards, and you can redeem your points for statement credits, gift cards, or merchandise.
While you will get 1 cent per point when you redeem your rewards for statement credits, you won’t get as much value if you redeem for gift cards or merchandise. Some gift card options may only give you 0.7 cents per point in value, for example. When it comes to merchandise, your points are typically worth only 0.5 cents per point.
How to Get the Most Out of This Card
Maximizing this card’s benefits is easy if you buy food at traditional grocery stores, shop at department stores, or fill your car up with gas. And really, who doesn’t? Use this card for all your spending in those bonus categories to earn more rewards over time. You can also use this card for your regular non-bonus spending, but it might be smarter to pair the Blue Cash Everyday Card with another card that offers more than 1% back on regular purchases.
When it comes to redeeming your rewards, that part is easy. Since statement credits offer the most bang for your buck (1 cent per point in value), you should redeem points to cover purchases made to your card.
Blue Cash Everyday Card’s Other Features
- Purchase return protection
- ShopRunner membership
- Car rental loss and damage waiver (secondary to your personal policy)
- Extended warranties
- Travel and emergency assistance
A 2019 customer satisfaction survey from J.D. Power ranked American Express second in terms of its customer experience. American Express offers 24/7 customer service via the phone or through online chat, making it easy to contact them and get problems resolved no matter the date or time.
The American Express mobile app receives high ratings for functionality, with 4.9 out of 5 stars on iTunes and 4.3 out of 5 stars on Google Play.
American Express provides standard bank security features, including encryption, multi-factor authentication, and alerts that inform you when you make a purchase, make a payment, or American Express suspects fraudulent activity on your account.
Blue Cash Everyday Card’s Fees
This card doesn’t charge an annual fee or overlimit fee. It does charge a 2.7% foreign transaction fee, which is slightly lower than the industry average of 3%.