Ameritas Dental Insurance Policy Review
Good oral health has been linked to improved quality of overall general health. Your family’s dental health is too important to leave the decision of finding the right dental insurance to chance. Ameritas is known in the insurance industry as a top provider of dental insurance.
Ameritas can trace its beginnings back to 1887 as Old Line Bankers Life Company of Nebraska. From there, it merged with Acacia Life and again with Union Center Mutual holding Company of Cincinnati. Today, it is known as Ameritas Life Insurance Corp. and Ameritas Life Insurance Corp. of New York. Ameritas if a mutual organizaton, meaning it is owned by its policy holders.
The parent company of Ameritas Mutual Holding Company has susidiary companies including Ameritas Life Insurance Corp. (Ameritas Life) and Ameritas Life Insurance Corp. of New York (Ameritas Life of New York). As of 2016, Ameritas Life and Ameritas Life of New York had approximately $1.65 billion in total adjusted capital with a surplus/assets ratio of 11.1 percent – about 20 percent higher than the industry average. The company provides life insurance, retirement planning, public finance Group dental and vision insurance to policy holders in 50 states.
Ameritas has received favorable financial strength ratings form these top insurance rating organizations:
In the customer service arena, Ameritas also gets top rankings with an “A+” rating with the Better Business Bureau for Ameritas Life Insurance Corporation. Its BBB file was opened in 1921 and has also been accredited since that date. The Consumers Advocate gives Ameritas Dental Insurance 8.6 out of 10 stars for an excellent rating. Ameritas Dental Insurance also has a claims call center that has won numerous awards.
Ameritas Dental Plans, Benefits and Discounts
- Traditional Tailored Indemnity: Traditional indemnity plans are customizable with a variety of dental products.
- Value Source: A plan providing affordable options and traditional benefits.
- EssentialDental: A low-cost plan option providing basic coverage.
- Managed Care/Provider Network: By choosing a dental provider from the managed care/provider network, you realize additional savings for dental services.
- Dental Rewards: The dental rewards program allows members who do not use much of their annual maximum benefit to roll some of this benefit amount over to the next policy year.
- Orthodontia: Orthodontic care is a feature that can be added to other benefit packages at an additional premium.
- Cosmetic: Cosmetic procedures including teeth whitening or bleaching and tooth-color composites on molars.
- High/Low: High/low plans give members options of two reimbursement levels for dental procedures (high or low) to provide the most flexibility when choosing an affordable dental policy premium.
- Core/Buy-up: This plan is offered by employers to employees who may “buy up” to a greater benefit.
- Dual Choice Option: An employer plan that offers employees two plan options giving employees flexibility to choose more coverage and a greater premium or less coverage for a more affordable premium.
- Sensible Choice: This plan pays members based on the dollar amount of expenses for dental care and procedures rather than the benefit types or procedure categories.
- Voluntary: Voluntary coverage provided through employers allowing employees to choose whether they will participate individually and cover the associated costs.
- ASO (Administrative Services Only): This is an administrative services plan only that provides self-funded benefit plans claims processing services.
- Small Group Trust: This is a benefit plan for smaller companies or organizations which allow the smaller company to provide employees with basic wellness benefits such as dental and vision insurance plans. This is ideal for local family businesses and small groups.
Pros and Cons
Ameritas has excellent financial strength ratings and is known in the industry as a top provider of dental insurance. Award winning claims and customer service are two great reasons to consider Ameritas when looking for dental insurance for you and your family. Several attractive discounts are available and you can roll over part of your unused coverage to the next policy year.
The greatest savings comes with the plans offering the most services and procedures. Those needing only basic coverage may not receive the best savings or discounts.
You can visit the Ameritas website to learn more about its dental insurance and other insurance products or call 1-800-311-7871. Customer service representatives are there to provide assistance and claims representatives are available Monday through Thursday from 7 a.m. to Midnight and Friday from 7 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Central Time. Multilingual interpretation language services are available.