America’s Preferred Home Warranty may just be the preferred option thanks to letting homeowners choose their own service provider. This company also offers lodging costs for times when repairs make the house uninhabitable.
Based on our review of over 20 home warranty providers, America’s Preferred Home Warranty (APHW) was not one of the best companies we found. To see other options that may be better, visit our list of the best home warranty companies.
- Pros and Cons
- Key Takeaways
You can choose your own licensed contractor
”A+” BBB rating
Seller plans are good for the duration of the listing
Hotel benefits of $75/night for up to a three-night hotel stay if you must leave your home for covered repairs to be completed
Washer & dryer coverage doesn’t come standard and the add-on for it seems expensive for around $95/year
No pricing for real estate plans available online
Several caps/payout limitations
No guarantee on repair work (you hire your own licensed contractor who works for you and not the warranty company)
- Payout caps are very generous at $25,000 per policy term with high item sublimits.
- The exclusions list follows industry standards without many exceptions.
- Repairs must be approved before your contractor begins work on the claim.
- Year Founded 1999
- Coverage Nationwide
- Customer Service 24/7 online or by telephone
- Waiting Period 30 days (Only applies in some situations)
- Contractor Network You may use any licensed contractor
- Service Recall Period The contractor works for you and not the warranty company so the company is not guaranteeing any repairs.
- Number of Plans 2 homeowner warranty plans with optional coverage available. Real estate professional/buyer/seller plans also available (must call for details).
- Coverage Limit $25,000
- Contract Length 12 months
- Payment Options APHW reserves the right to repair or replace covered items at its discretion
- Cost Service call options of $50, $100 or $125 Per month cost $39.58-$46.58
- Official Website https://aphw.com/
America’s Preferred Home Warranty (APHW) is an experienced home warranty company offering coverage to U.S. homeowners and real estate professionals. But how good is this company really? We decided to review America’s Preferred Home Warranty to see how it compares to others in the industry. In our evaluation, we reviewed several criteria including pricing, types of home warranty plans, BBB rating, customer perks, payout limitations, and more. Keep reading to see our full take and if it's worth signing up for a plan.
APHW was founded in 1999 and is headquartered in Jackson, Michigan. The company offers nationwide home warranty coverage for condos, townhouses, new construction, single-family, and multi-family units along with plans for real estate professionals. It is one of the few home warranty companies that allows you to choose your own licensed contractor.
America's Preferred Home Warranty offers three plans that differ by price and deductible, but all offer the same coverage. The first plan has a $50 deductible and costs $46.58 a month. The second plan has a $100 deductible and costs $42.42 a month. The third has a deductible of $125 and costs $39.58 a month. Each plan offers a 12 month contract.
Some items covered in the plans are:
- Central Air
- Water Heater
- Built-In Dishwasher
- Built-In Oven
- Range or Cooktop
- Garbage Disposal
- Built-In Microwave
- Septic System
- Attic and Exhaust Fans
- Electrical Systems
- Garage Door Opener
- Sump Pump
- Roof Leak Repair
Extra Coverage Can be added to your plan as well:
- Preferred Upgrade (Expands coverage of covered items)
- Additional Refrigerators
- Clothes Washer & Dryer
- Gas Fireplace
- Inground Pool / Spa
- Jetted Bathtub
- Saltwater Pool / Spa
- Sprinkler System
- Termite Control
- Water Softener
Real Estate Plans
APHW offers home warranty plans for real estate professionals, buyers, and sellers. For homeowners selling a home, coverage is for the duration of the real estate listing and has no expiration date. The company also offers additional resources and tools for real estate professionals. Real estate professionals or buyer/sellers must locate and contact a local sales rep using the website or call 1-800-648-5006 to get a quote.
Offering a home warranty plan when selling your home can make the escrow process go much smoother giving buyers the confidence that things are taken care of.
Exclusions (Obtained from online sample contract)
- Parts of heating systems not covered: outside or underground piping and components for geothermal and/or water source heat pumps, well pump and well pump components for geothermal and/or water source heat pumps
- Roof vent
- Sump pump auxiliary pump not covered
- Water heater chemical, mineral deposits, and sediments (only covered with preferred upgrade)
- Any services performed without company authorization
- Previous improper installation, previous repair of or design of appliances, systems and components; or problems occurring because of modifications or alterations to appliances, systems or components, or failure to meet building or zoning code requirements or violations, city, county, state, federal, or any utility regulations or upgrades required by law
- Common areas or facilities of mobile home parks and condominiums
- Repairs or replacements required as a result of: missing parts, fire, war, flood, smoke, water damage, lightning, freeze-up, earthquake, theft, storms, accidents, nuclear explosions, reaction, radiation or radioactive contamination, insurrection, extreme or unusual climate conditions, rust-out, corrosion, riots, vandalism, code violations, improper installation, acts of God, pest damage or misuse, structural changes, water failure and/or electrical surges, soil movement or mud, or failure to clean or maintain as instructed by the equipment manufacturer
- Repairs of any cosmetic defects or cost of cleaning of equipment or parts.
- Secondary damage from any covered item for property damage or personal injury
- Service relating to any toxic materials or asbestos
- Computerized or electronic energy management, lighting, or appliance management systems
- Items not covered for the first 30 days after are: any improper operation or malfunction due to rust for any system or component, appliance or pools/spas, and collapsed ductwork
- Additional charges to install or remove non-related equipment or systems in order to make a covered repair
- Any system or appliance classified by the manufacturer as commercial, leased equipment, stolen, vandalized, not properly maintained or connected, misused, neglected, consequential damages, abnormal use or damages due to inadequate capacity as determined/diagnosed by a licensed service contractor
- Any costs due to repair, replacement, installation, and labor of any covered system or part while under existing manufacturer’s warranty or third party service plan/agreement
The maximum payout per policy term with an APHW home warranty is $25,000. Other caps include $1,000 maximum for premium/combination appliances; $2,250 for heating systems ($1,500 for steam or hot water heating systems); $1,500 for geothermal or water source heat pump components; $2,250 for air conditioning systems; $550 for roof leak repair; $600 for built-in pool/spa heater and filtration system & jetted bathtub; $1,200 for saltwater pool/spa; $400 for washer/dryer, water well pump or septic; $600 for water softener; $500 for humidifier; $1,000 limit on special electrical package; $500 for water heater; $1,000 for additional refrigerators; $200 for the cost for crane to install roof-mounted covered replacement air conditioner unit; and $500 for ductwork, concealing plumbing or enclosed wiring. Additional limitations also apply.
With APHW you call a licensed contractor of your choice so you are responsible for scheduling when the technician comes out to complete home repairs. You must call and have your repairs approved before your contractor begins repair work.
For claims, you must call 1-800-648-5006. You will receive a claim number after filing your claim. Once your contractor is on-site, you must call for phone approval or your claim may not be approved. The company encourages you to call them 24/7/365 if you need help in locating a contractor to perform repair services. To request a free quote, you may call 866-589-5767.
**It is important to remember, the contractor works for you and not the warranty company so the company is not guaranteeing any repairs.
Real Estate Professionals have their own portal called "Real-Pro" to access accounts and a dedicated support line 855-806-6678, or they can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. There is also an app available for real estate professionals available through the App Store, Google Play or Amazon. For real estate professionals or for those purchasing a home, you can obtain a quote online or call 800-648-5006.
APHW has been an accredited BBB business since 2010 and has an “A+” rating with a 3.14-out-of-5-star rating based on nearly 300 customer reviews. The BBB has received 141 complaints about the company in the past three years. The majority of customer complaints were in the area of a problem with a “guarantee/warranty.”
Always shop price and coverage with different providers to make sure you are getting the most out of your plan.
The cost for APHW’s home warranty plans is the same for all states.
|Plan||Monthly Cost in All States|
|Standard Coverage $50 Deductible||$46.58|
|Standard Coverage $100 Deductible||$42.42|
|Standard Coverage $125 Deductible||$39.58|
|Optional Coverage||Monthly Cost in All States|
|Clothes Washer & Dryer||$7.92|
|Salt Water Pool/Spa||$28.75|
The Competition: America’s Preferred Home Warranty vs. Choice Home Warranty
One of the biggest differences between America’s Preferred Home Warranty and Choice Home Warranty is in the contractor network. With America’s Preferred Home Warranty you are allowed to choose any licensed contractor to complete repairs. With Choice Home Warranty you must have any repairs completed by a contractor outside of its contractor network pre-approved. APHW has a $25,000 pay-out limit per policy term and Choice doesn't disclose their limit on their website. Both companies have 24/7 claims service and offer multiple homeowner/real estate plans. Choice does disclose prices online and makes you request a quote. APHW’s monthly costs range from $39.58 to $46.58. APHW has the better BBB rating of “A+” while Choice Home Warranty only has a “B-” rating. So we think it's a no-brainer to go with America's Preferred Home Warranty.
With nationwide coverage, America’s Preferred Home Warranty is an experienced provider of home warranties, offers excellent customer service rating, and has an “A+” BBB rating. It is one of the few companies we have found that allows you to choose your own licensed contractor for covered repairs. Plus, you can bank on a three-night hotel stay if you must leave your home for covered repairs to be completed as part of its standard coverage. These are just some of the few reasons we think it's well worth signing up for a home warranty with APHW.
There are several aspects to think about in choosing a home warranty. To help readers pick the plan that works best for them, we use our methodology for reviewing home warranties, a quantified scoring system that evaluates plan pricing, exclusions, payout caps, repair times, and terms, comparing them to other carriers across the industry. Third-party ratings and customer satisfaction scores are factored in to help assess an insurer's overall quality and value.