America’s Preferred Home Warranty (APHW) is an experienced home warranty company offering coverage to U.S. homeowners and real estate professionals. But how good is this company really? We decided to review America’s Preferred Home Warranty to see how it compares to others in the industry. In our evaluation, we reviewed several criteria including pricing, types of home warranty plans, BBB rating, customer perks, payout limitations, and more. Keep reading to see our full take and if it's worth signing up for a plan.
Learn More: See who made our list of the best home warranty companies.
- Pros and Cons
You can choose your own licensed contractor
”A+” BBB rating
Seller plans have no expiration date and payment is not due until home closing is completed
Hotel benefits of $75/night for up to a three-night hotel stay if you must leave your home for covered repairs to be completed
Washer & dryer coverage doesn’t come standard and the add-on for it seems expensive ($85/year)
No pricing for real estate plans available online
Several caps/payout limitations
No guarantee on repair work (you hire your own licensed contractor who works for you and not the warranty company)
There's no coverage in California
- Year Founded 1999
- Coverage 49 states (No coverage in California)
- Customer Service 24/7 online or by telephone
- Waiting Period 30 days
- Contractor Network You may use any licensed contractor
- Service Recall Period The contractor works for you and not the warranty company so the company is not guaranteeing any repairs.
- Number of Plans 2 homeowner warranty plans with optional coverage available Real estate professional/buyer/seller plans also available (must call for details).
- Coverage Limit $25,000
- Contract Length 12 months
- Payment Options APHW reserves the right to repair or replace covered items at its discretion
- Cost Service call options of $50, $100 or $125 Yearly cost $465-$549 Per month cost $38.75-$45.75
- Official Website https://aphw.com/
APHW was founded in 1999 and is headquartered in Jackson, Michigan. The company offers nationwide home warranty coverage for condos, townhouses, new construction, single-family, and multi-family units along with plans for real estate professionals. It is one of the few home warranty companies that allows you to choose your own licensed contractor.
|Standard Coverage||Preferred Upgrade||Optional Coverage|
|Built-in Dishwasher||Built-in Dishwasher (Adds): Racks, Baskets and Rollers||Pool/Spa|
|Built-in Microwave||Central Air (Adds): Refrigerant Recovery, Cost of Crane, Registers & Grills||Premium/Salt Water Pool/Spa|
|Built-in Oven||Ceiling Fan||Jetted Bathtub|
|Central Air Conditioning||Central Heat (Adds): Registers, Grills and Heat Lamps||Clothes Washer & Dryer|
|Free-Standing Range/Cooktop||Garage Door Opener (Adds): Hinges, Springs, Keypads, and Remote Transmitters||Water Softener|
|Garbage Disposal||Refrigerator (Adds): Refrigerant Recovery, Control Board, Ice Maker and Ice/Beverage Dispenser|
|Heating System||Special Electrical Package: Fire/Burglar Alarm, Lighting Fixtures, Doorbell|
|Refrigerator||Toilets (Adds): Replaced With Like Quality|
|Attic & Exhaust Fans||Trash compactor (Adds): Lock and Key Assembly, Buckets|
|Central Vacuum||Oven/Range (Adds): Interior Lining, Clocks, Rotisseries, Racks, Handles, Knobs and Dials|
|Duct Work||Water Heater (Adds): Sediment Buildup|
|Electrical System||$250 towards Code Violations|
|Instant Hot Water Dispenser|
|Trash Compactor (built-in)|
|Garage Door Opener|
|Permanently-installed Sump Pump|
|Roof Leak Repair|
|Water Well Pump|
Real Estate Plans
APHW offers home warranty plans for real estate professionals, buyers, and sellers. For homeowners selling a home, coverage is for the duration of the real estate listing and has no expiration date. The ListSecure® program provides coverage for two years after the sale should a legal dispute occur. No payment is due until closing. Real estate professionals or buyer/sellers must use this form to obtain a quote or call 1-800-648-5006.
Exclusions (Obtained from online sample contract)
- Heating systems not covered: outside or underground piping and components for geothermal and/or water source heat pumps, well pump and well pump components for geothermal and/or water source heat pumps
- Roof vent
- Sump pump auxiliary pump not covered
- Water heater chemical, mineral deposits, and sediments (only covered with preferred upgrade)
- Any services performed without company authorization
- Previous improper installation, previous repair of or design of appliances, systems and components; or problems occurring because of modifications or alterations to appliances, systems or components, or failure to meet building or zoning code requirements or violations, city, county, state, federal, or any utility regulations or upgrades required by law
- Common areas or facilities of mobile home parks and condominiums
- Repairs or replacements required as a result of: missing parts, fire, war, flood, smoke, water damage, lightning, freeze-up, earthquake, theft, storms, accidents, nuclear explosions, reaction, radiation or radioactive contamination, insurrection, extreme or unusual climate conditions, rust-out, corrosion, riots, vandalism, code violations, improper installation, acts of God, pest damage or misuse, structural changes, water failure and/or electrical surges, soil movement or mud, or failure to clean or maintain as instructed by the equipment manufacturer
- Repairs of any cosmetic defects or cost of cleaning of equipment or parts.
- Secondary damage from any covered item for property damage or personal injury
- Service relating to any toxic materials or asbestos
- Computerized or electronic energy management, lighting, or appliance management systems
- Items not covered for the first 30 days after are: any improper operation or malfunction due to rust for any system or component, appliance or pools/spas, and collapsed ductwork
- Additional charges to install or remove non-related equipment or systems in order to make a covered repair
- Any system or appliance classified by the manufacturer as commercial, leased equipment, stolen, vandalized, not properly maintained or connected, misused, neglected, consequential damages, abnormal use or damages due to inadequate capacity as determined/diagnosed by a licensed service contractor
- Any costs due to repair, replacement, installation, and labor of any covered system or part while under existing manufacturer’s warranty or third party service plan/agreement
The maximum payout per policy term with an APHW home warranty is $25,000. Other caps include $1,000 maximum for premium/combination appliances; $2,250 for heating systems ($1,500 for steam or hot water heating systems); $1,500 for geothermal or water source heat pump components; $2,250 for air conditioning systems; $550 for roof leak repair; $600 for built-in pool/spa heater and filtration system & jetted bathtub; $1,200 for saltwater pool/spa; $400 for washer/dryer, water well pump or septic; $600 for water softener; $500 for humidifier; $1,000 limit on special electrical package; $500 for water heater; $1,000 for refrigerator; $200 for the cost for crane to install roof-mounted covered replacement air conditioner unit; and $500 for ductwork, concealing plumbing or enclosed wiring.
With APHW you call a licensed contractor of your choice so you are responsible for scheduling when the technician comes out to complete home repairs. You must call and have your repairs approved before your contractor begins repair work.
For claims, you must call 1-800-648-5006. You will receive a claim number after filing your claim. Once your contractor is on-site, you must call for phone approval or your claim may not be approved. The company encourages you to call them 24/7/365 if you need help in locating a contractor to perform repair services. To request a free quote, you may call 888-351-3681.
**It is important to remember, the contractor works for you and not the warranty company so the company is not guaranteeing any repairs.
Real Estate Professionals have their own portal called "Real-Pro" to access accounts and a dedicated support line 855-806-6678, or they can e-mail email@example.com. There is also an app available for real estate professionals available through the App Store, Google Play or Amazon. For real estate professionals or for those purchasing a home, you can obtain a quote online or call 800-648-5006.
APHW has been an accredited BBB business since 2010 and has an “A+” rating with a 3.25-out-of-5-star rating based on over 150 customer reviews and over 150 customer complaints. The majority of customer complaints were in the area of a problem with a “guarantee/warranty.”
The cost for APHW’s home warranty plans is the same for all states. Customers have the option to pay their plan premium monthly or yearly.
|Plan||Monthly Cost in All States||Yearly Cost in All States|
|Standard Coverage $50 Deductible||$45.75||$549|
|Standard Coverage $100 Deductible||$41.58||$499|
|Standard Coverage $125 Deductible||$38.75||$465|
|Optional Coverage||Monthly Cost in All States||Yearly Cost in All States|
|Clothes Washer & Dryer||$7.08||$85|
|Premium/Salt Water Pool/Spa||$28.75||$345|
The Competition: America’s Preferred Home Warranty vs. Choice Home Warranty
One of the biggest differences between America’s Preferred Home Warranty and Choice Home Warranty is in the contractor network. With America’s Preferred Home Warranty you are allowed to choose any licensed contractor to complete repairs. With Choice Home Warranty you must have any repairs completed by a contractor outside of its contractor network pre-approved. APHW has a $25,000 pay-out limit per policy term and Choice’s policy term pay-out limit is less at $15,000. Both companies have 24/7 claims service and offer multiple homeowner/real estate plans. The yearly cost of Choice’s plans range from $495 to $600 and APHW’s yearly plan costs range from $465 to $549. APHW has the better BBB rating of “A+” while Choice Home Warranty only has a “B-” rating. So we think it's a no-brainer to go with America's Preferred Home Warranty.
With nationwide coverage, America’s Preferred Home Warranty is an experienced provider of home warranties, offers excellent customer service rating, and has an “A+” BBB rating. It is one of the few companies we have found that allows you to choose your own licensed contractor for covered repairs. Plus, you can bank on a three-night hotel stay if you must leave your home for covered repairs to be completed as part of its standard coverage. These are just some of the few reasons we think it's well worth signing up for a home warranty with APHW.