Allstate Drivewise is a mobile app-based program that Allstate customers can opt into. It monitors your driving for safe behavior, offers rewards, and could potentially help you save money on your car insurance. But is it right for every driver or Allstate customer?
In this article, you’ll learn what Allstate Drivewise is, how it works, and who might benefit the most from this program. We’ll go through the pros and cons of Allstate Drivewise, along with how to get Drivewise and whether there are any privacy concerns.
- Allstate Drivewise is an insurance program that collects, analyzes, and provides real-time feedback on your driving behavior.
- Drivers with safer driving habits may be rewarded with insurance premium refunds and/or rewards through the Allstate Reward program.
- Drivewise primarily examines your habits around braking, speed, and time of driving.
- Signing up for Drivewise can save you up to 10% automatically, and you may be able to save up to 25% depending on your driving habits.
What Is Allstate Drivewise?
Allstate insurance company launched the usage-based Drivewise program in 2010, and it’s available nationwide. Using your smartphone’s sensors, Drivewise collects your driving data and analyzes it to better understand your driving behavior. If you demonstrate safe driving habits, you can qualify for a refund on your insurance premiums. Allstate Drivewise is on our list of Best Usage-Based Insurance Options of 2021.
You can also earn Allstate Rewards for Drivewise-based safe driving. While you can’t use Rewards to save on car insurance premiums, you can redeem them for donations to local charities (in partnership with the Allstate Foundation), gift cards, travel, merchandise, auction sites, magazines, and daily deals. For example, you can redeem points for gift cards to Starbucks, Amazon, and Walmart.
Drivewise does have some quirks. For example, rewards are not available in New York state. And while Allstate once offered a plug-in Drivewise device in some states, the insurance company now prioritizes the app and no longer offers the device in most states.
Drivewise follows you as an individual driver, not your car. That means it tracks your driving behavior in any vehicle, such as if you borrow your friend’s car to run an errand. After you enroll, Drivewise uses your first six months of data to offer cash back and/or rewards. After this initial period, the app uses 12 months of rolling data as it comes in.
How Does Allstate Drivewise Work?
Your overall driving safety performance is based on maintaining safe speeds (under 80 mph), minimizing abrupt braking, and limiting your late-night trips. However, the program primarily focuses on eliminating high speeds and sudden braking.
Drivewise also monitors whether you’re using your smartphone while on the road—but only to encourage safe driving habits, not for your safety performance rewards.
Drivewise displays your information in several interfaces:
- Driving Insights: How often you’ve braked suddenly, driven at high speeds, and traveled late at night in the past week.
- My Trips: Trip-by-trip feedback, including the option to remove trips where you were a passenger.
- Phone Activity: Day-by-day counts of the number of times you picked up your phone while driving.
- My Challenges: Medals, trophies, and badges to gamify the safe-driving experience, mainly where braking and speed are concerned.
Because the app runs in the background, it tracks every trip, even when you’re not driving. To accurately track your driving habits, you can either put the app into sleep mode before a trip where you’re the passenger or delete that trip from your history.
Pros and Cons of Allstate Drivewise
Can help you save money and earn rewards
Won’t cause rates to increase
Multi-driver policy accommodation
Extra safety and assistance features
Can drain your phone’s battery
Requires review for accuracy
Requires at least 50 trips every six months
- Can help you save money and earn rewards: Drivewise could help you save up to 25% on your insurance policy. Even just signing up could get you up to 10% back, in addition to rewards for actions as simple as not using your phone while driving.
- Won’t cause rates to increase: For most drivers, braking a little too hard or pushing the speed limit won’t lead to increased insurance rates; you just won’t get the discount earned by safer drivers. However, a newer Drivewise version in Michigan can cause your premiums to go up or down, so consider your driving habits before signing up.
- Multi-driver policy accommodation: If you have multiple drivers and cars, Drivewise allows every driver to download the app to increase potential savings and gather safety feedback. This option may be helpful to parents of teen drivers.
- Extra safety and assistance features: Drivewise offers crash detection (providing emergency services after an accident), help with finding your last parking location, and audible alerts for speeds over 80 mph and sudden braking events.
- Can be a battery drain: Because it’s always running in the background as a navigational app, Allstate Drivewise can drain your battery. However, the app’s effect on battery life depends on your route and your phone’s age, design, and battery health. Allstate says Drivewise uses about as much battery life as other navigational apps.
- Requires review for accuracy: Because the app automatically tracks all trips (including those where you aren’t a driver), regular app housekeeping might be required if you frequently travel as a passenger, such as in a rideshare. You’ll need to delete trips or put the app to sleep before heading out to make sure your habits are tracked accurately.
- Requires at least 50 trips: To qualify for rewards, you need to take at least 50 trips during a six-month performance period. If you drive less often, you might investigate other ways to save on insurance while working from home or consider Allstate’s Milewise program.
Who Should Use Allstate Drivewise?
Allstate Drivewise could appeal to several kinds of drivers, including:
- Allstate customers who want to save money.
- Allstate customers who want feedback on driving habits and to become safer drivers.
- Drivers who are considering switching to Allstate and want to try out the savings.
- People who are comfortable earning discounts and rewards in exchange for potential privacy tradeoffs (see below).
- Parents who hope to monitor their teen driver’s habits on the road.
How To Install Allstate Drivewise
Getting, installing, and activating Drivewise is relatively straightforward. You can enroll in Drivewise through your car insurance agent, by calling Allstate directly, or in the Allstate app.
The Allstate app works with any iPhone equipped with iOS 12.0 or higher and phones with Android 7.0 or higher. Drivewise is included in the Allstate mobile app.
Allstate Drivewise automatically assumes you’re driving when your phone has at least 5% battery power, drives at least 15 mph for at least three minutes, and location services are set to detect motion/activity and location. This setting means the app can detect trips even when it’s closed.
Privacy Considerations With Allstate Drivewise
Often, there are tradeoffs where privacy and usage-based insurance are concerned. The app captures a wide variety of information, including:
- Your name, telephone number, IP and email addresses, and claim number
- Pictures and messages
- Information about your device and application permissions
- Vehicle information
- GPS location information
Who Can See My Allstate Drivewise Data?
The App Store notes that data linked to you includes location, diagnostics, and usage data. However, our sources at Allstate stated that any data provided to any third party is aggregated and anonymized for trend-based analysis purposes. Only in response to a court-ordered subpoena would the insurer provide personal information.
Aggregated, anonymized driving data (but not your identity) may also be disclosed to:
- Insurance regulators
- Allstate, to improve pricing and underwriting models or develop new products or services
- Third parties who might provide services, such as wireless service providers, vehicle manufacturers and dealers, and other associated parties
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the most you can earn with Allstate Drivewise?
For Drivewise, most customers can save 10% just for signing up. You can then earn a discount up to 25% every six months for driving safely, in addition to redeemable Allstate Reward points. However, discounts and rewards may differ based on state insurance regulations. For example, Drivewise is available in California, but it’s not tied to your auto policy. You can’t earn a discount or cash back, but you can still earn Allstate Rewards.
Can non-Allstate customers participate in Allstate Drivewise?
Non-Allstate customers can participate in Drivewise in all states, although they won’t save on their non-Allstate car insurance. They can also participate in Allstate Rewards in most states.
Will I earn savings with Drivewise?
Beyond the sign-up savings, about 50%-60% of Allstate customers earn some form of discount for driving performance by using Drivewise.
How do I deactivate Allstate Drivewise?
You must call your Allstate agent or Drivewise customer support. If you deactivate Drivewise, you won’t have further access to your discounts, but you will have access to your Rewards, which never expire.
Is Drivewise available for policies with a six-month term?
Yes, most Allstate policies have a six-month term and Drivewise is available in every state as part of those policies.