AFC Home Club offers in-house service providers to repair your home along with an array of club-member perks. These include discounted maintenance supplies and credit monitoring, making them an all-inclusive package for many homeowners with multiple needs.
- Pros and Cons
- Key Takeaways
Lifetime of plan workmanship guarantee (three years)
Choice of technician
You can use your own licensed contractor
Limited to 9 covered items in the silver plan
No expedited services for emergency repairs
Number of items covered is less than other home warranty providers
- One of the perks you get with club membership is discounts at restaurants, retailers, and theme parks.
- The Platinum Plan offers the most comprehensive coverage without having to buy many add ons.
- The payout caps on appliances is $2,000 per contract term.
- Claims are dispatched within 24 to 48 hours and you only pay your trade service fee if you are happy with the technician.
- Year Founded 2009
- Coverage Nationwide (excluding California and Hawaii)
- Customer Service 24/7 online or by telephone 855-613-4555
- Waiting Period 30 days
- Contractor Network Network of licensed contractors. Customers may also use their own licensed contractor with pre-approval.
- Service Recall Period Lifetime of plan workmanship guarantee (up to three years)
- Number of Plans Four
- Coverage Limit Various payout caps
- Contract Length 12 months or 36 months
- Payment Options The company reserves the right to provide a replacement or reimbursement towards the cost of replacement in lieu of service.
- Trade Service Fee 3 Options
- Official Website https://afchomeclub.com/
America’s 1st Choice (AFC) Home Club provides home warranty plans for homeowners and real estate professionals that protect against unexpected home repair costs. The company provides all of its services “in-house,” meaning it does not contract sales or claims services to outside vendors.
We reviewed the company based on the types of plans, various plan options, price, exclusions, payout caps, and more. Read on to see if AFC Home Club is the best warranty company for your home repair needs.
America’s 1st Choice (AFC) Home Club was founded in 2009 and has its company headquarters in Marietta, Georgia. It offers nationwide coverage (excluding California and Hawaii) to homeowners and real estate professionals. It also offers its club members a number of perks including credit monitoring, discounted home maintenance supplies, and more.
One of the most impressive things about AFC is its "lifetime of plan" guarantee for all repairs. If you have an active service agreement, the work completed will be guaranteed for the entire life of the contract (up to three years).
Homeowner warranty plans can protect your budget against unexpected repairs due to normal wear and tear on appliances or household systems. AFC offers four homeowner plans: Platinum, Gold, Silver, and the Systems Plan.
|Coverage||Platinum Plan||Gold Plan||Silver Plan||Systems Plan|
|Garage Door Opener||✓||✓||✓|
These optional add-on coverages are available for an additional fee with any homeowner's plan:
- Hot Water Dispenser
- Tankless Water Heater
- Stand Alone Freezer
- Septic System
- In-ground Pool and Spa
- Sump Pump
AFC Home Club Membership Benefits
Unlike most other home warranty companies, AFC gives warranty holders “Home Club” membership benefits. These perks help to keep your home operating in tip-top shape while managing your budget and financial health.
Consider how much you would spend on credit monitoring, maintenance, and security systems to determine if the club perks are worthwhile.
AFC offers these benefits to club members:
- Moneytips: Free credit monitoring and identity protection alerts
- Encompass Simply Parts: Discounts on maintenance-related parts and supplies
- ADT Safestreets: Discounted rates on home security system installations
- Emergency Alert Network (EAN): Vital medical information provided to emergency personnel with contacts notified
- DealCash: Savings at participating restaurants, retailers, camps, and theme parks (discounts as high as 50%)
Real Estate Plans
AFC offers home warranty services for real estate professionals. When a realtor adds a home warranty to a listing, it makes the property more appealing to potential buyers. There are four home warranty plans available for real estate professionals: Platinum, Gold, Silver, and the Systems Plan.
Plan pricing is not available online for real estate professionals. For a quote, agents should call 877-804-0132.
These exclusions were obtained from a sample contract. While these appliances or systems may be covered in your plan, the parts listed below are excluded from coverage. The number and type of exclusions from AFC are about the same when compared with other home warranty providers.
- Clothes dryer: Drum, seals, gaskets, vents, touch panel/displays, tub
- Clothes washer: Drum, seals, gaskets, spider bracket, overloading, touch panel/displays, tub
- Kitchen refrigerator: Touch panel/display, leaks of any kind, freon, coils, door hinges, dispenser, ice crusher, removable parts, water lines, valves, bucket, filter, interior thermal shelves/insulation
- Range/oven/cooktop/stove: Any failure that arises during the “self-cleaning” function, glass, touch panel/display, clock, fan, oven/cooktop exhaust fan
- Dishwasher: Control board, touch panel, racks, soap dispenser
- Garbage disposal: New unit installation, diagnosis, malfunctions, failures and/or jams caused by bones, glass, misuse, or foreign objects
- Garage door opener: Springs, tracks, belts, doors, buttons, keypads, remotes
- Built-in microwave: Touch panel/display, doors, seals, hinge, handles, door glass, lights, interior linings, trays, clocks, shelves, portable or countertop units, fans, trim kits
- Air conditioning/cooler: Gas air conditioning systems, condenser casings, filters, window units, water towers, humidifiers, improperly sized units, chillers, all exterior condensing, cooling and pump pads, roof mounts, jacks, stand or supports, condensate pumps, crane rentals, air conditioning with a mismatched condensing unit and evaporator coil, valves, refrigerant conversion, leak detections, water leaks, drain line stoppages, maintenance, recapturing of freon, noise, refrigerant line, hard start kit
- Heating systems or built-in wall unit: External boiler components, all components and parts relating to geothermal, water source heat pumps, radiant heating and components, heat exchangers, dampers, valves, fuel storage tanks, portable units, solar heating systems, filters, line dryers and filters, oil filters, nozzles, strainers, backflow preventers, evaporator coil pan, primary or secondary drain pans, add-ons for zoned, systems, heat lamps, humidifiers, flues and vents, improperly sized heating systems, mismatched systems, leak detections, water leaks, drain line stoppages, maintenance
- Ductwork: Ductwork exposed to outside elements, improperly sized ductwork, separation due to settlement and/or lack of support, cleaning
- Standard water heater (gas and/or electric) limited to one unit: Auxiliary holding or storage tanks, noise, sediment, fuel storage tank and energy conservation unit, commercial-grade equipment and units exceeding 75 gallons, flue pipe, coding violations or upgrades, recirculation pump, installation, rust, corrosion, tankless water heaters unless an additional fee is paid and listed in additional coverages per declaration page
- Interior electrical system: Audio/video/computer/intercom/alarm or security wiring cable, circuit overload, low voltage, inadequate wiring, aluminum wiring, broken and/or severed wires, faceplates, fixtures, switches, wire tracing, smart home equipment or wiring, power outages, troubleshooting, modifications, junction boxes, coding violations or upgrades
- Plumbing systems and stoppages: Piping failure or stoppage which includes collapsed piping, freezing or damage from roots, foreign objects, gas leaks, slab leaks, polybutylene or quest piping, galvanized drain lines, galvanized piping, flange, valves, bathtubs, shower enclosures and glass, base pans, sinks, toilet lids and seats, cracks, whirlpool jets, whirlpool control panel, water softeners, pressure regulators, inadequate or excessive water pressure, leak searches, costs to locate or access cleanout not found or accessible, or costs with installing cleanouts, faucet installation, hydro-jetting, camera snaking, septic systems unless an additional fee is paid and listed in additional coverages per the declaration page
- Pool and/or spa equipment: Pool/spa heater, filters, saltwater filtration/osmosis, saltwater components, control panels, electronic boards, lights, liners, maintenance, housing and related equipment, structural defects, inadequate pressure, solar equipment, jets, ornamental fountains, waterfalls, and their pumping systems, above-ground/portable pools, upgrading equipment
- Well pump: Holding or storage tanks, digging, locating pump, pump retrieval, re-drilling or wells, well casings, pressure tanks, pressure switches and gauges, check valve, relief valve, drop pipe, piping or electrical lines leading to or connecting pressure tank and main dwelling including wiring from the control box to the pump, booster pumps, well pump and components for geothermal and/or water source heat pumps
- Sump pump: Greywater, sewage ejector pumps, portable pumps, backflow preventers, check valves, piping modifications for new installs
- Central vacuum: Ductwork, hoses, access and closing to floors, walls, and ceiling when locating or repairing a malfunction, blockages, accessories
- Stand-alone freezer: Ice makers, crushers, dispensers and related equipment, internal shell, racks, shelves, glass displays, lights, knobs and caps, dials, door seals and gaskets, door hinges, door handles, condensation pans, clogged drains and clogged lines, grates, food spoilage, freon disposal and recapture of freon
- Second refrigerator: Touch panel/display, leaks of any kind, freon, coils, door hinges, insulation shelves, ice maker unless an additional fee is paid and is listed in additional coverage on the declaration page
- Septic system: Tank-line from the house, leach lines, field lines, lateral lines, tile fields and leach beds, insufficient capacity, clean out, pumping, grinder pump
- Hot water dispenser: Leaks or breaks or any kind, rust, mold, corrosion
- Tankless water heater: Timeliness of hot water, thermostat, insufficient sized unit for home, intake and exhaust piping, gas valves, maintenance, troubleshooting
AFC has the following payout caps for standard and optional items covered. Payout caps listed below are per contract term. Remember that AFC has one- or three-year terms, which means these caps are potentially reflective of multiple years. The dollar amount of payout caps are in line with other home warranty providers with similar contract terms.
|Plumbing Systems and Stoppages||$500|
|Pool & Spa||$500|
|Stand Alone Freezer||$500|
|Hot Water Dispenser||$200|
|Tankless Water Heater||$750|
When calling to submit a claim, AFC will connect you with a licensed service technician within 24 to 48 business hours. The company will email you the technician’s contact information and you can then contact the technician to schedule service. AFC contacts you once the service call is completed. Then, only upon your satisfaction, AFC will pay the technician.
If you have a service contractor you prefer who is available to begin work right away, AFC will allow it as long as you let the claims representative know when reporting a claim. Your chosen contractor will need to call AFC for authorization prior to completing any repairs. No reimbursement is made to the repair technician until he has submitted a diagnosis, gets the required authorization, and AFC gets your approval of the work completed.
AFC has no expedited service for emergency repairs. This is out-of-line with industry standards for issues that could deem the home uninhabitable until repaired.
You can contact AFC 24/7 to submit a claim by calling 855-613-4555 or you may submit your claim online. If you would like to call to obtain a quote, the sales number is 877-804-0132.
Homeowner Plan Pricing
Homeowner plans through AFC Home Club are available for one-year and three-year periods paid either monthly or annually. Homeowners are able to purchase AFC Home Club protection at any time after they purchased a home but have a 30-day waiting period for coverage to begin.
Shop contract rates among other providers to see who can offer you the best rate with the most coverage for your needs.
We looked at pricing on an annual basis for the one-year plan and noted that plan pricing is the same for all states. The trade call fee (TCF) is like a deductible; it's the amount you pay when making a service call for a repair technician to come to examine the problem. Plan pricing is contingent on which of the three TCF options you choose.
The Competition: AFC Home Club vs. American Home Shield
We compared coverage offered by AFC Home Club vs. American Home Shield (AHS) to see which provider offers a better deal on home warranty plans. American Home Shield generally covers more home systems and components than AFC Home Club, but it varies with your plan choice. The pricing and number of plans are similar, but we feel that the lifetime of plan workmanship guarantee (up to three years) offered by AFC Home Club makes it the clear winner over American Home Shield, which offers only a 30-day workmanship guarantee.
|Criteria||AFC Home Club||American Home Shield|
|Number of Plans||4||3|
|Coverage Territory||Nationwide (excluding California and Hawaii)||Nationwide|
|Home Systems/Components Covered||6-17||14-27|
|Pricing||Request a Quote||Request a Quote|
|Workmanship Guarantee||Lifetime of plan (up to 3 years)||30-day|
America’s 1st Choice (AFC) Home Club offers affordable home warranty options to fit within most budgets and allows you to choose your own licensed contractor for repairs. We really like the guarantee on repairs for the lifetime of the plan for up to three years. There are also some membership perks—including free credit monitoring, discounts on home maintenance materials, free emergency alerts, discounted home security system installations, and more—which make it a suitable choice for the average homeowner.
However, AFC only covers 18 home components and systems. We also did not like the lack of expedited service for emergency repairs. If you have a large home with many sophisticated home systems, you may be better off going with a home warranty provider that offers more coverage options.
There are several aspects to think about in choosing a home warranty. To help readers pick the plan that works best for them, our methodology for reviewing home warranties includes a quantified scoring system that evaluates plan pricing, exclusions, payout caps, repair times, and terms, comparing them to other carriers across the industry. Third-party ratings and customer satisfaction scores are factored in to help assess an insurer's overall quality and value.