Aetna Health Insurance Company Review
Aetna is one of the nation’s oldest and leading healthcare insurance providers. The company was founded in 1853 and is headquartered in Hartford, Connecticut. It sells its insurance products including health insurance, Medicaid insurance, dental insurance, pharmacy insurance, group life insurance and disability insurance in all 50 states. Over 18 million health insurance policies are provided in addition to approximately 13 million dental policies and 8 million pharmacy policies. These policy holders are serviced through a network over more than 1 million health care providers. The company CEO is Mark T. Bertolini. Aetna has over 35,000 employees nationwide with revenue in excess of $35 billion.
Financial Strength and Customer Satisfaction
Aetna has very strong financial strength ratings. This is important for a health insurance company when it comes to being able to take care of customer claims and pay all its financial obligations. Here are how the major insurance rating organization rate Aetna:
In terms of customer satisfaction, according to a customer survey conducted by Insure.com, 88% of current policy holders plan to renew their health insurance coverage and customers give the satisfaction rating as 4 out of 5. For four straight years, Aetna was recognized by J.D. Power and Associates as having “An Outstanding Customer Service Experience” with its Aetna Premier One’s health concierge customer service call center.
Aetna, Inc. does not have a Better Business Bureau Rating. However, it does have an “A+” rating and a 3.73 out of 5 star composite score based on 39 customer reviews and 581 total customer complaints. Of the 581 complaints, 337 were problems with product/service, 213 were billing/collection issues, 16 were advertising/sales issues, 13 were delivery issues and 2 complaints were issues with guarantees or warranties.
The website provides extensive resources for customers including a public education program called “Plan for Your Health” which helps the consumer by providing information about health benefits and personal finances. The aim is to help the consumer make a more informed health insurance purchase. In 2012, the Department of Health and Human Services and the White House Business Council recognized Aetna as one of eight organizations committed to improving health care equality.
From the website, health insurance customers can shop for a plan; find a doctor, dentist or vision provider. You can manage you plan and have the ability to:
- View medical, dental and pharmacy plans
- Compare costs for doctor visits, tests and medical procedures
- Check your deductible
- Store/share personal health history
- Get your personalized health information
Aetna also offers its policy holders a mobile insurance application where you have access to your account information, can view your personal health record, manage disability/absence benefits and more. In addition, you can talk to a nurse 24/7 for medical advice. The Aetna mobile app can be downloaded from Google Play or the App Store.
Health Insurance Products
Aetna offers consumers a wide range of individual, family, Medicare and employer health insurance products. In addition, you may choose to participate in an HSA or health savings plan where you can save money, tax-free, to apply towards your insurance deductible and other health-related expenses. There are so many insurance options with Aetna that you will have to visit the website to explore them all in-depth. Here are some of the benefits provided by Aetna health insurance plans:
- Affordable Options: There are a large number of insurance options available to fit your budget. You can choose a plan based on how much money you can spend monthly for office visits and other services. There are variable plans that combine quality coverage with affordability.
- Preventive Care: Aetna health insurance plans pay for preventive care including annual doctor’s visits, children’s immunizations and other preventative care services.
- Claims: When you use an in-network health care provider, you do not need to fill out claims forms.
- Family Plans: Family plans include coverage for yourself, your spouse and your children for doctor’s visits, prescription drugs, hospitalization and preventative care.
- HSA (Health Savings Account): The ability to put money away into an HSA to help meet your insurance deductible or other healthcare related benefits is an excellent benefit offered by Aetna.
- Large Provider Network: Even if you travel often in different areas of the country, with the large provider network of Aetna, healthcare is never far away.
- Excellent financial strength and customer service ratings
- There are many supplemental health insurance products and plans available.
- You may receive a quote and buy coverage online.
- Large selection of health care providers to choose from
- Low-cost insurance options
- Aetna does not offer as many short-term insurance options as some other carriers.
Company Contact Information
To learn more about Aetna insurance products or to receive a quote, you may visit the Aetna website or call 1-800-US-AETNA (1-800-872-3862) between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. ET. If you are a resident of Connecticut, call 1-860-273-0123.