Aetna is one of the U.S.’s oldest and leading health care insurance providers. The company was founded in 1853 and is headquartered in Hartford, Connecticut. Aetna sells insurance products including health insurance, Medicaid insurance, dental insurance, pharmacy insurance, group life insurance, and disability insurance in all 50 states.
Over 18 million health insurance policies are provided; this is in addition to approximately 13 million dental policies and 8 million pharmacy policies. These policyholders are serviced through a network of more than 1 million health care providers. In 2018, Aetna merged with CVS Health and is now a wholly-owned subsidiary of CVS.
- Aetna is one of the U.S.'s oldest health care insurers, offering insurance in every state.
- Many trusted rating organizations rate Aetna in the "A" group of insurers for financial strength.
- Aetna offers robust customer service resources, including a website and educational resources.
- Aetna offers many insurance products and plans that include family and individual coverage, affordable options, and preventative care. But it does not offer short-term plans.
Financial Strength and Customer Satisfaction
Aetna has very strong financial strength ratings. This is important for a health insurance company; you can feel confident it will be able to take care of customer claims. Here are how the major insurance rating organization rate Aetna:
In terms of customer satisfaction, according to a customer survey conducted by Insure.com, 84% of current policyholders plan to renew their health insurance coverage and customers give the satisfaction rating as 4 out of 5.
Aetna has an “A+” rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) but only 1 out of a 5-star composite score based on 77 customer reviews and 679 customer complaints.
The website provides extensive resources for customers including a public education program called “Plan for Your Health,” which helps by providing information about health benefits and personal finances. The aim is to help customers make a more informed health insurance purchase. In 2012, the Department of Health and Human Services and the White House Business Council recognized Aetna as one of eight organizations committed to improving health care equality.
From the Aetna website, health insurance customers can shop for a plan; find a doctor, dentist, or vision provider. You can manage your plan and have the ability to:
- View medical, dental, and pharmacy plans
- Compare costs for doctor visits, tests, and medical procedures
- Check your deductible
- Store/share personal health history
- Get your personalized health information
Aetna also offers its policyholders a mobile insurance application where you have access to your account information, can view your personal health record, manage disability/absence benefits, and more. In addition, you can talk to a nurse 24/7 for medical advice. The Aetna mobile app can be downloaded from Google Play or the App Store.
What Products Does Aetna Offer?
Aetna offers consumers a wide range of individual, family, Medicare, and employer health insurance products. In addition, you may choose to participate in an HSA or health savings plan where you can save money, tax-free, to apply towards your insurance deductible and other health-related expenses. There are so many insurance options with Aetna that you will have to visit the website to explore them all in-depth. Here are some of the benefits provided by Aetna health insurance plans:
- Affordable Options: There are a large number of insurance options available to fit your budget. You can choose a plan based on how much money you can spend monthly for office visits and other services. There are variable plans that combine high levels of coverage with affordability.
- Preventive Care: Aetna health insurance plans pay for preventive care. This includes annual doctor’s visits, immunizations, and other preventative care services.
- Claims: When you use an in-network health care provider, you do not need to fill out claims forms.
- Family Plans: Family plans include coverage for yourself, your spouse, and your children for doctor’s visits, prescription drugs, hospitalization, and preventative care.
- HSA (Health Savings Account): The ability to put money away into an HSA to help meet your insurance deductible or other health care needs is a benefit offered by Aetna.
- Large Provider Network: Even if you travel often, with Aetna's large provider network in the U.S., care is never far away.
What Are the Pros of Aetna?
There are several advantages to using Aetna as your health insurance provider. These include:
- Excellent financial strength and customer service ratings
- There are many supplemental health insurance products and plans available.
- You may receive a quote and buy coverage online.
- Large selection of health care providers to choose from
- Low-cost insurance options
What Are the Cons of Aetna?
There's one main disadvantage to using Aetna. It does not offer as many short-term insurance options as some other carriers.
How Do You Contact Aetna?
To learn more about Aetna insurance products or to receive a quote, you may visit the Aetna website or call 1-800-US-AETNA (1-800-872-3862) between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. ET. If you are a resident of Connecticut, call 1-860-273-0123.