How to Obtain Copies of Probate Documents in Sarasota County, Florida
A common question estate planning attorney answer is how to obtain a copy of a deceased person's last will and testament or other probate court filings. Because probate records are public court records that anyone can read, if a will has been filed for probate then you should be able to obtain a copy of it.
Accessing Sarasota County, Florida Probate Records
If the estate you are interested in is being probated in the Sarasota County Circuit Court located in Sarasota, Florida, then follow the links and instructions provided below to view the Sarasota County probate court dockets online:
- Go to the Sarasota County, Florida probate website section for Online Services - Wills, Probate & Guardianships.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Click Here to Acknowledge the Disclaimer and Search the Probate Database.
- Select how you want to search the database - Name, Company Name, Case Number, Uniform Case Number, or Date - and click on Continue.
- Enter the requested information. For example, if you are searching by name, then insert the last name and first name into the spaces provided and click on "Search."
- Once you locate the link to your probate case, click on the link and you will be able to see the following information: Filing date; attorney's name; judge's name; and a complete docket of court filings by date. Note that if you click on the "View" link next to a docket entry, you will be forwarded to a notice which states that the image is not available due to various administrative orders issued by the Supreme Court of Florida. See below regarding how to request copies of the documents you are interested in viewing.
Once you locate the documents you want to have copied, you can go back to the main page and click on Contact Us at the top of the page to locate the applicable address and telephone number. You can then visit the clerk's office in person or give them a call to determine the procedure for obtaining the copies and the costs involved.